HJ45 transfer into BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I`ve got a question for the connoseurs!

I have a '75 BJ40 which I am rebuilding. I also have a '80 HJ45 with a transmission & transfer case in excellent shape. Since the BJ40 has a B engine & the other one has an H engine, I know transmissions are not interchangeble, but the question remains - are the transfer cases interchangeable? I want to do a swap, since the truck I want to use more often is my BJ. Both trucks are running and it would be a major hassle to pull apart both transfers just to find they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for your responses, any leads are more than welcome.

BJ40man in Honduras, C.A.

the transfers should be, but i'm no expert. also i can't see why the transmissions aren't interchangeable. if their both 4 speeds they should all be the same

The transfers should be interchangeable, unless the HJ45 is built after August '80 when the split case started. In the US, sacrificing a running 45 for a 40 is not a good move, but things are likely different in Honduras.

Dave

BJ40man,
in your signature line, it says your 74 BJ40 has a 3B.
Did you bolt the 3B engine to the tranny that you B engine originally came with, or did the 3B come with a post 08/80 transmission (and split case)? Do you know what transmission you have in the HJ45?

As you stated, the H and B transmissions won't bolt up due to the B having a 1.5" longer input shaft and 21 vs. 10 splines.

It's tough to say; popular opinion regarding split cases seems to be dominated by our American friends (no harm meant) who didn't get these (at least in their pre-10/82 H42 4-speed's). I would suspect if you have a split case on both your B and H drivetrains and they are both from 1980, they should bolt up. You can in fact mate a B engine to an H or F transmission (vice versa) by rebuilding the trasmission with the proper input shaft)

However, I know that the split transfer case from a (3B) H55-F (10/82 - 10/85) will not bolt to a split case'd (3B) H42 (8/80 - 10/82). (I know you're talking about an H to B swap, but it goes to show that not all Cruisers were created equal!!!)

You might try 'Crushers' (on this site), as he's swapped 2.276:1 split case gears from an H42 into an H55-F split case that normally came with 1.959:1 gears (as well as many nice restorations). He may know of actual transfercase compatability.

You may also try the TLC FAQ (my cousin's site):

http://www.birfield.com/tlcfaq/

I couldn't find anything concrete in regards to H & B series trannsfercase swapping, but it has LOTS of info.

Good luck (and post it up when you find out)!

if you look at this page http://www.birfield.com/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/08-01.html
the transfer gear ratio's and splines match up on pre 81-B powered cruisers and H powered 45's. if you swapped in the whole driveline with the 3b, looks like the cases won't be interchangeable, without a rebuild.

Sorry for the delay in answering!

What I did with my cruiser was to find a 1998 Dyna Truck with the 3B II diesel engine (rotary pump) and pull it off. I used the original transmission and transfer on my BJ40 I found several interesting things... the clutch disk is bigger (I am pretty sure it is the same one on the HJ series) but it still fit in my transmission. (I am not sure if I have the H41 or H42 transmission - I have the one that comes with the B engine) My transmission is from the very first ones that have an output for adapting a PTO on the transmission, as well as on the transfer case.

The reason I am interested on this swap (still haven't done it) is because I was donated a rolled HJ45 which everything else is in top shape (transmission, transfer, diffs, but the body is in pretty bad shape. )

Hey, thanks for all the info... as soon as I get to it, I will post new info.

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom