HJ45 starting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Just got my first cruiser a 1980 HJ45. Body and engine all seem to be in great condition. Have charged the battery, but it won't turnover. Have been warming up glowplugs as required too. Seems to be the starter. Have tried tapping the starter which also helps some but not enough. Any other ideas? Should I just replace the starter? Thx.

Welcome to this forum and to the Cruiser madness. We like a lot of pictures.

Start with checking the cables from the battery to the starter and to ground.
Disconnect them, clean the battery studs and the cable clamps.
Do the same at the starter. Disconnect them, remove corrosion and make sure everything is tight.
Skip the glow procedure for now. You want to know if the starter is good or bad.
Once the starter is doing his job you can do the glow cycle.

Rudi

hi and welcome to MUD,

1980 HJ45? i assume then it has a 2H engine?

when you say shes doesnt turn over, do you mean that the engine itself fails to turn? or just that the starter wont even try and turn?

if she is cranking but not firing, and even heat isnt getting her to fire, then my bet would be air lock. the 2H is infamous for its ability to airlock. if thats the case, then you need a good battery or jumpers and another vehicle, a 17mm spanner for the injectors, a 10mm spanner for the bleed screw on the injector pump, and about 30min to an hour to bleed her.

start by opening the bleed screw on the injector pump and pump the lift pump (on the side of the injector pump) until you got a steady stream of diesel coming out. close that up then open up the banjo bolt on the input to the fuel filter. repeat procedure, moving on to the output of the filter. Now the injectors. just crack em open a bit, all of them at the same time, then crank the starter motor. keep cranking until you see diesel weeping at each injector. then nip them all tight, heat your plugs and crank... if all is good, she will fire.

hope this helps, if it is an airlock. i would start with what Rudi said first though. he knows what hes on about with wiring ;)

Welcome to the forum mate
Its very simple to check your stater motor on your 1980 hj45 3.6 H engine. There's only two wires so touch the male wire straight to the + battery cable to the starter this will start tuning the engine over if the starter is good.
001.JPG

If the starter works make sure the fuel pump is in the start position and then glow and fire
002.JPG

Last edited:
Thx everyone. Starter just needed a bit more tapping and battery needed a bit more juice from another vehicle. Add on A/C and it's belts also looked a bit tight making it tough to turn over so loosened them a bit and seems ok now. Might try upgrading the 12v to 24v battery.

image.jpg

Any good threads with basic info ie what type of oil and coolant to use? Would like to change out all the basic fluids as a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom