HJ45 injector pump reinstalled now not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. This is my 1st thread but I'm getting severely desperate for ideas so im gonna describe this in as much detail as i can as i can't afford a diesel mechanic.

So i have a 1980 HJ45 (H engine), recently noticed leaky welsh plugs behind the IP,
removed the EDIC motor & IP,
replaced the welsh plugs. But now after reassembling the EDIC & IP it doesnt want to start like it was before i touched anything. When & if it does eventually start it runs with a bit of an occasional misfire,
white smoke
& has a bit of a diesel knock(sounds like its coming from inside the tappet cover) only when accelerating that follows the rpms.
Not on idle.
Also a large lack of power if i try to drive it up the street.

I have tested ohms resistance for glows and all seem to read fine. Battery is sweet, starter freshly rebuilt. Even when warm still struggles to start (4-5seconds cranking)

I have only just noticed after priming the lift pump that it is leaking diesel & air bubbles from the primer stem, also noticed my water seperator is leaking diesel aswell. I suppose where there is a diesel leak, air can enter just as easily as diesel coming out correct?

Could these 2 leaks be my issue?

Or have I mucked up my IP timing(reinstalled the IP just as the manual said to do so).

Or could this be both of those issues aswell as not installing the EDIC correctly? Couldn't find ANYTHING in the manual about the EDIC and where the position of it should be for stop, run & overfuel...

ANY information or things to try would be greatly appreciated. Next week i am going to remove the leaky water separator, order a bosch primer pump & add a one way inline valve at the furthest point in the rubber fuel line (which on a H motor is not even near the primer or fuel filter).

Cheers guys.

Screenshot_2019-09-08-09-02-33.png

Last edited:
Sounds like u have air in ur injector lines

Today i deleted the water seperator. It was not only leaking, but also completely clogged up! Think its the original one from 40 years ago. Waiting till next weeks pay to order a new primer pump. Hoping between those 2 things alone it will be running again!

just crack an injector line and kick it over she will bleed up without the lift pump in a lot of cases

just crack an injector line and kick it over she will bleed up without the lift pump in a lot of cases
Chers yoyo. Will try that this afternoon as ive fixed the major leak by removing the water/diesel seperator so im curious to see if she will run now with a quick bleed. Just to 1st injector or do them all?

Where the marks "lined up" originally, before you removed the IP ?

The pump in the pic above is advanced.
Im pretty sure they were. Although looking at your pic seems like a very slight possibility that mine is ever so slightly out of alignment if yours is factory advanced setting..

Im pretty sure they were. Although looking at your pic seems like a very slight possibility that mine is ever so slightly out of alignment if yours is factory advanced setting..

If you look very close at the pic you'll see two marks on the IP and one on the engine block......The very tip of the red arrow is on the lower mark.

If you look very close at the pic you'll see two marks on the IP and one on the engine block......The very tip of the red arrow is on the lower mark.
Yeah right... well i made mine dead on the long line, i think maybe i have set mine slightly retarded in that case. Really wish i took a photo of that mark before removing but i just thought the pump would simply slot back in exactly as it came out and boy was i wrong! :(

It was out of time as i didn't reassemble correctly! 😅 all good now just a tad smoky (think i damaged the IP diaphragm a lil when i removed it to adjust the fuel control lever)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom