HJ45 flatdeck restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm restoring a HJ45 flatdeck that I bought as spares for my mud truck, it had a 3B motor installed and no transmission.
I took the motor out and that is now on duty I'm my offroad er and I was wondering what to do with the bits left over. The more I look at the truck the less rust there seemed to be so I bought another HJ45 that was really rotten but had the correct H engine and 4 speed box.
The truck as bought.
ocernDLMN2e8DF5zUDC9tVYb0Qihxk7YF3K-YpHTQSg.jpg
sUXQoQ5v_K9cN69CfLSxbfq50SEILxNcKANfjca9yJE.jpg

I have stripped the body too, I'm in the process of cutting out the rust and tig welding in new metal. It is my first go at tig, I have done plenty of gas before but from the pics you can see I needed to improve my prep work!
Some of the panels have gone off for blasting so I can fully see the extent of the rust before I start to weld it up.
20150816_193224.jpg
20150816_193256.jpg
20150816_193445.jpg
20150815_172903.jpg
20150812_193035.jpg

The things I would do for that truck here in the states.... Looking forward to a build thread on this one. What are your plans for it? Put in the H engine and trans and just drive it? Or Restoration? Resto-mod?
I'm going for restoration but with the option for more modern upgrades. It will get an H motor but I do have a dead 60 with a 2h that might go in at a later date.
I have added heater mounts from a '82 tub so I can fit the later heater and I will be getting full led lighting.
The painting will be with all the panels separate to stop any more rust in the joints but it won't be getting any bog in it, if it has a dent that can't be easily panel beaten it will stay.
It will be getting sound deadening and a hidden stereo for a more pleasant drive, and reupholstered seats.

Your welding looks pretty good to me! You're obviously a quick learner.

And that bib looks almost rust-free!!

:beer:

nice 45 ... plenty of life left in that truck ... if your body work is anything like your welding there won't be much need for filler ... you aren't wasting any time with bringing this 45 back to life ... looking forward to seeing what it turns into ...

Search out on the web on how to build a purge box - basically using a dual regulator setup or a t fitting on your argon tank and using a second argon feed to envelope the back side of the weld area in argon . It helps a lot with keeping the weld clean and preventing porosity . Just make sure to use the least amount of heat as possible on sheet metal and only do short runs .
Sarge

Well that was a complete disaster:( I had a look at it this morning and there are tiny bubbles in it and if you press them water comes out. I'm going to have to scrape the whole lot off and try a different approach.
I think I will go for galvanized primer and chassis black then a coat of wax oil on top.

Well that was a complete disaster:( I had a look at it this morning and there are tiny bubbles in it and if you press them water comes out. I'm going to have to scrape the whole lot off and try a different approach.
I think I will go for galvanized primer and chassis black then a coat of wax oil on top.

That's odd. Was it some sort of water-based anti-stonechip coating that you used?

I avoid all water-based products for automotive coatings and seam-sealants. In my opinion, their only advantage is that they seldom have toxic fumes associated with their application (and their performance is usually dismal in comparison to the product they are meant to substitute)..

All jobs seem to have setbacks. I changed the engine oil and oil filter on my BJ40 yesterday and despite concentrating to avoid spillage, at least 50% of my time was yet again spent scrubbing the black diesel-oil stains off our driveway. (And as usual, it's still clear exactly where the spillage occured and it'll probably take at least 6 months more for that stain to weather out.)

That's odd. Was it some sort of water-based anti-stonechip coating that you used?

I avoid all water-based products for automotive coatings and seam-sealants. In my opinion, their only advantage is that they seldom have toxic fumes associated with their application (and their performance is usually dismal in comparison to the product they are meant to substitute)..

All jobs seem to have setbacks. I changed the engine oil and oil filter on my BJ40 yesterday and despite concentrating to avoid spillage, at least 50% of my time was yet again spent scrubbing the black diesel-oil stains off our driveway. (And as usual, it's still clear exactly where the spillage occured and it'll probably take at least 6 months more for that stain to weather out.)

It didn't say it was water based and it needed acetone for cleanup. It was duplicolour undercoat rubberized in a can from supercheap. I've taken them back and they are investigating.

I've had a bad experience of one kind or another each time I used a Duplicolor product. Won't use anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom