HJ45 Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grifcoac.com
I have a wheel cylinder leaking on my passanger front axle. I'm have some confusion in finding the correct cylinder. Couple of question.
1. Are the wheel cylinders on the HJ different than on the FJ's?
PICT0005-6.jpg

2. My pads measure 3" across, all 4 of them. Is this the norm for all the HJ trucks/troopies?
PICT0006-4.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Toss that drum brake crap and get some disc brakes off a 60 series - cheaper to maintain, and better braking with lower maintenance.

~John

Toss that drum brake **** and get some disc brakes off a 60 series - cheaper to maintain, and better braking with lower maintenance.

~John
I would if it was a FJ40 or even a FJ45 but i'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I figure Toyota put alot into research on the braking systems so who am i to argue with that.

You'll need shoes and cylinders for a pre 7/80 40 series, the drums went larger post 1980. They should be the same for petrol and diesel in the same year. Assuming they're the same as the vehicles here in Australia, which they should be.

I would if it was a FJ40 or even a FJ45 but i'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I figure Toyota put a lot into research on the braking systems so who am i to argue with that.

Yes, they did put a lot of research into brakes, and Toyota put 4 wheel disc brakes on many of their Land Cruisers in the 90s as a result of that research.

Toyota starting putting disc brakes on 40 & 50 series starting in 1976. It was only certain models like the pick ups, and third world (ie low trim level) vehicles that got stuck with drum brakes on all 4 corners (and now that I've said that, some Kiwi is going to speak up about how they had drums after 1976...).

There is no good reason to put up with garbage brakes that cost a lot of time and money to maintain even moderate braking power.

I had an FJ45 and putting 4 wheel disc brakes on it was an excellent modification (using all Toyota parts), that made the vehicle far safer, considerably more reliable, and reduced the ongoing brake maintenance issues that always plague drum brakes.

~John

What are we looking at in CDN dollars, John, to retrofit a BJ60 with rear disc brakes? Has BC got rid of that effing HST yet?

I'm with John on the disc brakes, at least for the front.

The rear I'm OK with drums (and I kept the drums for my 45 rear end).

It's completely reversible if you decide you want to go back to the drums in the front someday, although I highly doubt you will. And it's such a common and accepted modification that nobody would seriously bat an eye if you changed the front over to discs (from a 40, 60 or mini).

That said, the 3" pads and wheel cylinders are still available (or were two years ago). I don't remember if I posted part numbers in my 45 thread, but I got them, and I'm sure I could look up the part numbers if you need.

Dan

What are we looking at in CDN dollars, John, to retrofit a BJ60 with rear disc brakes? Has BC got rid of that effing HST yet?

A 60 series is a different story. The 45 series still had the parking brake on the transfer case, and so there is no need to have one on the rear axle. With the pre-1981 FF rear end, with a little bit of machining you can fit the factory rotor, and if you cut up a steering knuckle you can bolt the caliper mount to the backing plate flange... very easy and elegant.

If you want discs, but don't need a parking brake, then there are a few tried and true ways of adding inexpensive disc brakes (much like the 40 series). But, I could not live without a really good parking brake. It's also a requirement of many 4WD events and is a DOT requirement.

So...

~John

I sort of figured that the parking brake was going to be an issue and yes, it is required equipment everywhere. Too bad.........you had interested for a few minutes.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation. Do you guys know where I can find these front brake cylinders for an HJ45 AND where to source / what kind of setup to source if switching to Disc? What's the easiest disc swap for my HJ? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom