HJ45 Body on FZJ80 Frame - Your thoughts please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year, I purchased a 1980 HJ45 here in Costa Rica.

95 hp H diesel engine
4-speed manual transmission
Front disk brake axle
No power steering
No A/C or heater

The previous owner started a frame off restoration and did a decent job on the body although I haven't had the courage to inspect it with a magnet. He either ran out of money or lost interest so he slapped some paint on the chassis and dropped the body back on. All the mechanicals seem to be in good shape but the electric need to be completely redone.

I've been driving it here in Costa Rica for a while and have come to the conclusion that is a totally impractical truck in its current configuration. The H engine with the 4-speed is woefully inadequate to move the truck, especially on the hills of CR. More gears might help. Driving the back roads is a real bear without power steering and A/C would be nice in the lower elevations and a heater/defroster would be helpful in the higher elevations.

Each of these shortcomings could be remedied individually but I got looking at a single solution. I compared HJ45 frame drawings to those of an FZJ80 and, with a 4 inch stretch of the 80 frame, it appears that the 45 body would fit. The frame widths and vertical contours are remarkably similar. So why not drop the 45 body on a complete 80 frame/engine/transmission/suspension chassis. I would end up with all of the features of a FZJ80 and the classic look of the Troopy.

My quandary is do I butcher a classic truck to bring it into a more practical configuration or live with all of the shortcomings. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This would be a back burner project. I plan to drive the truck as is here in Costa Rica for a few more years and then import it into the US. I would then sell it as is or undertake the body swap.

Your comments please!

40/80 builds are increasingly common in Australia and I dont believe they require a frame stretch.

If you're on Facesuck.. you can find the main group here: Facebook Groups one of the members has published a Step By Step guide in that group (you will find it in the "Files" section of that group).

Honestly, why bother though, you're going to end up with a less nice 80 and you'll really just be pretending to drive a 40.

Here's 3..

1608942815696.png

Also.. why not both?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and link.

Honestly, why bother though, you're going to end up with a less nice 80 and you'll really just be pretending to drive a 40.

You are absolutely right. Never thought of it that way

Also.. why not both?

Already drive an 80.

Already drive an 80.

Yeah thats my point.. :) Keep it, drive the 40 when it suits, drive the 80 when it suits

Yeah thats my point.. :) Keep it, drive the 40 when it suits, drive the 80 when it suits
Good plan except the 80 is in North America while the 45 is in Central America, about 6,000 km apart.

I say go for it. I have done a few conversion, although not on a 40-series yet. I have looked close at a 45 to 80 chassis and noticed the same things you have.

The real issue is width. Notice the picture above on how wide the front ends are and how the fenders have been widened. This is obviously due to the wms from 40 to 80 being so different.

The other option is converting the suspension on the 45. It will have to get custom for this and packing, particularly in the front will be a major hurdle to overcome. Especially if not using a coil over.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom