HJ 61 and thoughts on power. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My name is Tom Bentzen and I live in the Seattle area. Ive got an '88 HJ-61 cruiser with a 12HT turbo diesel. I'd like to use it to tow my '88 Toyota 2L powered long wheelbase samurai. The samurai is built and weighs in at 4000 pounds. With a featherlite aluminum trailer were talking close to 5000 pounds total. Now the cruiser has 5.29 gears with ARBs running 37x12.5x17 MTR's. With that set up she's geared a little lower then normal for a bit more power. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with 61 experience and whether you think she'll tow very well? Ive got a full floater rear end with disks too.

On that note, the other reason for my post was whether anyone knows of anyway to get alittle more power out of her? I'll be adding a 3" exhaust and better air filter along with an ARB snorkle I bought. I was wondering about bigger turbos, bigger injectors, propane injection, etc etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

TB

PS, Here is the samurai. Ill get the cruiser pic soon.

TB Where did you get the figure of 4000 lbs for your Suzuki?.Are you giving the curb weight or the gross vehicle weight? . The curb weight for these is only about 2200 lbs in an unmodified form which means you must have 1800lbs of extras if the 4000 lbs figure is correct.I have a FJ 73 which has a curb weight of 1860 kg or 4070lbs and I think your HJ 61 weighs a few hundred more than that. 80 series weigh about 4700lbs.
As for your question re towing I have towed 4-5000 lbs of mini excavators/ bobcats with HJ 75 trays and they do it fairly easy,just dont use 5th gear or the heat will strip the chrome off the gear teeth.

Thanks. Yes I have added much to the vehicle. Here are the stats. They will help explain why she weighs in at 4000.

TB
Here are my '88 Long wheelbase samurai stats:

1984 toyota 2.4 liter 2L diesel motor(AXT trubo in soon)
1984 toyota 5 speed tranny, t-case with Marlin 4.70 low range gears
1983 toyota front axle, 5.29 gears, ARB locker and high pinion 3rd member, Longfields, vented disks with four piston calipers
1983 toyota rear axle, 5.29 gears, ARB locker, V6 3rd member, Front Range full floater, disk brakes with four piston calipers
FJ80 master cylinder and power booster with pro valve
Toyota IFS power steering
Cross over steering
Marlin 4.70-1 transfer case (98 to 1) with dual sticks
Toyota leaf sprung over suspension
42x15x15 swampers on Marsh racing 36 bead locked wheels
FULL herculined tub and partial exterior
Autometer gauges in the 5 vent holes
Extrememaire compressor with 5 gallons of onboard air
custom rear bumper, 5 gallon gas carrier, rear Ramsey 8000lb winch
custom rocker skids
Trail Tough front bumper with Ramsey 9500 Patriot winch and IPF lights
6 point DaveSport full cage, and exo portions
Corbeau sport seats
Trail Tough fold down windshield
cut door hinges for door removal
soft top
15.5 gallon gas tank
TrailTough fender flares
Centerforce dual friction clutch
Amsoil bypass filter
Flex-a-lite dual electric fans
200 amp battery isolator
One optima red top
One optima yellow top

Thanks, I think I'll look into a custom intercooler.

That and maybe an ATS, or Bully dog propane injection system.

TB

More power is easy on a turbo diesel. A big fat intercooler, more boost, and as you mentioned, the large downpipe and exhaust. Keep the exhaust 3" all the way back, and use a good straight through muffler. Here is a teaser picture for you, it is the 3" 316 stainless sytem I just built for my 22RTE 4-Runner (gas turbo)
fbb268d7.jpg

Thanks. I figured a 3" exhaust. Pyro and turbo boost gauges.

I wonder how easy it will be to up the boost on that factory turbo?

i also dont know whether I can get a big down pipe. Might have to make one.

TB

Actually, intercooling and turning up the boost on a diesel will make it run cooler... leaner may be better, to an extent. Just the opposite of a gas engine. The big exhaust and downpipe let the turbo move the exhaust heat out faster, which makes the job easier for it.

Check www.bellintercoolers.com for custom intercoolers. Get the wastegate signal to come from the intake manifold after you install the intercooler otherwise you're not measuring and responding to the true engine boost. Get a Isspro pyrometer and mount it in the exhaust manifold. When you go to 3" exhaust DO NOT use a muffler.
I run a 3B with an AXT turbo out of Vancouver, B.C. and I do NOT use a muffler on my 2 1/2" pipe. I have no room for an intercooler.
p.s. Don't think that a larger turbo will equal more power. You may want to reference a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's geared to gas engines but it's good on turbo theory and applications.

Thank you very much for the help. I have a 2001 TDI jetta with a 2.5" exhaust and no muffler. I'll try that with the 3" im putting on the cruiser.

TB

cruiser_guy said:
Check www.bellintercoolers.com for custom intercoolers. Get the wastegate signal to come from the intake manifold after you install the intercooler otherwise you're not measuring and responding to the true engine boost.

This Bell Intercooler site is a good find. I am about to drop in a 12HT myself and am looking itno this. Has anyone out there sized one for a 12ht in an HJ 60 and have any pointers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom