Hj 60 rust box build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, it's time to show you my project.

Bought a 1986 hj60 for 350$ last month.It was sitting for 5 years , the PO told me it did not run and that's why it was sitting.Got her home and worked on it for 2 days and got her started and surprisingly, it's running like new..almost.

Being in Canada, the body is in pretty rough shape but I ordered brand new body pannels all around , it's supposed to get here sometime next week.

The rear section of the frame had some holes ( the rest is fine) I figured it would be the first thing to attack after getting it running.Patched the frame and while the gas tank was down, decided to take the rotten inner C channels out... What a pain.While I was there , also decided to cut the rotten rear cross member and try to clean everything up as best as I could.

So here I am.

Picking up new C channel and the steel to fab the new rear cross member Monday. Kind of a challenge to fab this up because I want to keep the original bumper , that I worked pretty hard to get it looking as good as I could. There was some huge holes , where the frame meets the bumper and it looks almost as new now.Pretty pround of my welding so far, just bought a cheap welder but had a pretty good base ,being a plumber/pipe fitter.

Looking forward to finish fixing the frame/bumper so I can fix the body and get ready for painting.

This is my first landcruiser and first restoration project , I'm not looking for perfection and I'm pretty limited budget wise but I want to do things the right way.

Btw. Couldn't figure out how to put my tread in the build section.If somebody can help me , would be sweet.

IMG_20200508_170533.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, body looks pretty good back there for Canada. Keep the pic's coming.
Yes the floor is in perfect condition every where expect for the front section.

Rust proofing and spending the last years that it was on the road on Vancouver island helped alot to preserve it I think.

welcome. n you stole that for how much?!??? you should do the true north version of what somebody down kansas way is doing, he picked up a 60 for about 500 bones, got it runnin' n now he's just touring around with it
edit: yeah, check out "$500 landcruiser"

Last edited:
Interesting how your rockers are rotting. Mine are perfect but its rusting in other places yours isnt. Wonder why they rust in different places.

Quick heads up, your anti inversion spring shackles are “inverted” (upside down). The way they are sitting could put serious strain on the spring leaves under compression.
That's good to know thanks. Will definitely switch that this week.Its a ome suspension lift kit that the PO got installed before abandoning it in his driveway, pretty happy about that , wouldn't want to damage it.

Last edited:
Did some good progress.

Getting ready to epoxy prime this thing then body work and final paint.

Installed some Mickey Thompson Baja claw 35x12.5x15.

Surprisingly , no rubbing so far , tried flexing it as much as I could around the house and no rubbing.

received_3548242075187420.jpeg

received_581578685855653.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom