HJ 45 Help needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you might get a better idea removing the oil pan. I think you will find a hole in the inner casting.

So I have not had time to remove the oil pan yet. I drained the oil and antifreeze mix then I decided to fill it back up with oil. I thought what do I have to loose. If the engine is cracked then it’s ruined. So I decided to fill it up with oil and leave the antifreeze out. I started it up with my laser temperature gauge handy to watch the temps. It started up and after about 5 -8 minutes it started to warm up and run great. The temps stayed cool until about 20-25 minutes. After that it got up to around 250 degrees F. Engine ran great seemed to have power etc. so my question is where in the block or head could it still seem to run fine with good compression etc with what seems like to me a gaping hole somewhere that would allow antifreeze into the crankcase? I know I won’t know until I open it up. So just seeing if anyone out there has any ideas.

You may have a split rather than a gaping hole. It sort of seals until it expands , then the widening gap combined with the increasing coolant pressure forces the coolant through the split. Its not around the combustion chamber as the compression would force gases into the coolant.

Antifreeze went quickly into the crankcase when engine was really cold. Originally I poured one gallon in after another when the engine was cold. Heat would not have been an issue for expansion.

I have a H block I am pulling out of a truck if you need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom