Hitch Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a hitch for my 94 LC and looking for recommendations. Are all hitches just the same? My plan is to do some light towing with a max of 2500 pounds (trailer and cargo).

TIA

Replaced with Reese

My 97 was rear ended by a Mazda Sedan. Mazda was significantly shorter and totaled but I just needed a bumper, hitch, and tailgate! The original Reese Hitch was no longer made. But Reese and other companies still made models for FZJ80s. I bought a new Reese. I am no hitch expert but can offer that the Reese fits and works for 18ft boat but the receiver sticks out further than the original. Will get you hitch number and picture if interested.

Keep an eye on the classifieds. I've seen several on there and cheap too.

If it's light towing, you can also just bolt on a hitch to the factory location on the rear crossmember/bumper. There are two options.

Man-a-Fre makes a standard 2" receiver hitch for the FJ40 that bolts to its rear crossmember's holes. Don't tell them you're going to use it for an 80, as they get antsy about that, but it will bolt onto your 80 just fine. Just remember it realistically should not be used with the max weights that other 2" receivers are capable of.

You can also get a pintle type hitch. These are also available with a built-in ball hitch. Mine is rated at 8 tons or way more than you should pull with an 80. Again, use common sense with towing and never exceed the 80's rated capacity and you'll be OK with this type hitch bolted onto your rear 4-hole spot. These don't give you provision for different heights like a receiver hitch would with different hitches mounted in it (or for carrying things with a bike rack, for instance), but it works fine for our little M101 CDN.

Another trick is to get a "chain plate" to bolt between the hitch and the bumper. These are used on military equipment to give a place to hook up the safety chains at. Mine came off of a M151 Mutt, but there is the same or similar fixture on many other vehicles also. Anything with that 4-hole pattern should work.

BTW, use high quality hardware for bolting on your hitch here. You'll need four bolts, plus nuts for the bottom two holes. The top two have captive nuts already. Be sure to use lock washers to keep things snug.

Looking to buy a hitch for my 94 LC and looking for recommendations. Are all hitches just the same? My plan is to do some light towing with a max of 2500 pounds (trailer and cargo).

TIA

In the picture below you will see a 2" ball/hitch that fits into the factory holes on the bumper. I took it off shortly after I purchased my 80 and replaced it with a Class IV hitch receiver. I think the PO used it to haul around his atv on a trailer - not sure.

If you are only going to tow pretty light loads, then you are more than welcome to have the one I took off - you pay shipping which should not be that much. It is only taking up space in the garage, and I would rather just give it to a fellow cruiser than sell it.

IMG_3346.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

Last edited:
If you go with an after market bolt on, I would use the style where the receiver is level with crossmember of the hitch and not mounted below. I have a DrawTite.

Thank you for the offer. Let me do some research and I will let you know.

In the picture below you will see a 2" ball/hitch that fits into the factory holes on the bumper. I took it off shortly after I purchased my 80 and replaced it with a Class IV hitch receiver. I think the PO used it to haul around his atv on a trailer - not sure.

If you are only going to tow pretty light loads, then you are more than welcome to have the one I took off - you pay shipping which should not be that much. It is only taking up space in the garage, and I would rather just give it to a fellow cruiser than sell it.

My search powers are weak today. What is the thread/size for the factory four bolt location. I know its the same size as the bolts for the tow hooks (removed them to remove the Drawtite Hitch).

Also the bottom don't have capture nuts like the top. Are you guys just tacking in some bolts there?

Ill keep searching around, but in the meantime thought I would ask in this thread.

Thanks

Mine is the ARB hitch!

If you don't mind finding a new home for your spare I like the Slee 2" receiver system designed for their bumper.

Slee - 2" Receivers

VanGo installed one on his stock bumper.

I just installed a Curt hitch on mine a couple of weeks ago.
http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary/13089/installsheet/CM_13089_INS.pdf
Easy as pie. Very similar to the Drawtite. The only drawback is that it sticks out of the vehicle for a good 4-6" or so. Other than that, it is very sturdy..

Beyond similar. Those look like they are photocopies of the Drawtite installation instructions. I'm betting that there is one company making these and selling them for re-branded items.

Boy, I should would not trust towing 2500lbs with that... Perhaps a hobby trailer, but 2500 lbs coming loose at 60 could take out the family behind you and cause you a lifetime of guilt and jail time... Smart to replace it, and OP, best to move on to a better solution, IMHO.

IMG_3346.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

My search powers are weak today. What is the thread/size for the factory four bolt location. I know its the same size as the bolts for the tow hooks (removed them to remove the Drawtite Hitch).

Also the bottom don't have capture nuts like the top. Are you guys just tacking in some bolts there?

Ill keep searching around, but in the meantime thought I would ask in this thread.

Thanks
See below on thread size - only two of the 4 holes are threaded. For mine, put grade 8 hardware 1/2" in the two that were not (bolts and nuts and lock washers.

The thread size is M12 superfine. It took me about 6 fastershops to find it. the standard M12 1.25 or fine thread will not work. These required bolts are not in your neighborhood home depot for sure. I got mine from a industrial hardware store called McFaddin Dale.

Thanks for the detailed info Flank :)

The more more I think about it I will probably just re-install my Drawtite when needed or I will go to a new rear bumper (Luke's is most likely the case). I dont tow very often and when i do it is light (util trailer or 12' alum boat).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom