Hitch options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen two different OE accessory hitches, which leaves me with a perplexing question. Does the hitch that simply mounts under the brace with a few bolts have the same 5000lb rating that the "drop-hitch" offers? The drop-hitch costs twice as much and decreases ROA clearance, so I would like to incorporate another option if possible...since I need the tow ability.

This is the only MFG option hitch I know of and it is rated for 5000lbs
tn_FJ_TrailerHitch.jpg

That is one option (the one that mounts with a few bolts), and this is the drop-hitch version that is offered via my Southeastern dealer - what I believe is being installed.

39564.jpg

I bought the OEM hitch from the dealer using my 25% parts discount and the hitch and wiring package were right around $220. Took about an hour to install.
Came with a new fascia panel. Bolts with 6 bolts directly to the rear x-member.
5,000# rated which is probably at the upper limit of what the vehicle can handle.

GL

Ed

Does your wiring harness have a mounted plug, like the one in the picture I linked, or is it a loose plug you tuck behind the bumper?

The OEM wiring kit had a mounted 4-wire plug. The wiring kit is sold separately from the hitch itself. I'd sure recommend getting the OEM wiring kit no matter what hitch you use.
Ed:beer:

EDIT: Both the hitch and the wiring kit had complete instructions included with them. Most helpful.
hitch 001.jpg
hitch 002.jpg

Our regional distributor (SET) does not offer anything other than the one I pictured (found out yesterday). :rolleyes: So...I left the "drop-hitch" on the workorder. If I find it reduces my ROA significantly I will purchase/install the unit you installed. At present, the FJ will serve to haul the real offroad rig (modified YJ). Once the money tree sheds its leaves - freakin' thing stays green year-round :doh: - I will perform a series of mods that will allow me to sell the Jeep and use the FJ for everything...the day I am looking forward to. :bounce:

As a follow-up: after speaking to the regional distributor today, I confirmed that SET only installs aftermarket (Reese) hitches. I still had some time before my FJ was unloaded from the ship, so I had the dealer change my workorder to "no hitch". I will install the unobtrusive Factory hitch after delivery. Thanks to all who posted! :)

Last edited:
As a follow-up: after speaking to the regional distributor today, I confirmed that SET only installs aftermarket (Reese) hitches. I still had some time before my FJ was unloaded from the ship, so I had the dealer change my workorder to "no hitch". I will install the unobtrusive Factory hitch after delivery. Thanks to all who posted! :)

All FJCs arrive with no hitches, they are all installed at the Port of Entry, or the dealer. Should be no problem deleting the hitch from your order. Since Toyota makes and sells a hitch that matches the towing capacity of the truck, I see no reason to go aftermarket and reduce your approach angle. If I can install it in an hour or less, you young 'uns should be able to do better than that!;)
GL

Ed:beer:

As an 'aside' to Degnol's post:

Perhaps my thought-process is odd, but as a customer purchasing a Toyota, I expect FACTORY accessories that are covered under the factory warranty. I am still :confused: (confused) as to why a distributor installs non-factory parts on a factory vehicle. If someone knows the answer, please share. If/when Toyota releases a "Jimmy Buffet Edition" FJC, I can easily grasp the concept of aftermarket parts. However, Toyota options should be just that - Toyota options, unless otherwise stated (which they were not in this instance).

*Apologies issued if I ranted too much above* :eek:

As an 'aside' to Degnol's post:

Perhaps my thought-process is odd, but as a customer purchasing a Toyota, I expect FACTORY accessories that are covered under the factory warranty. I am still :confused: (confused) as to why a distributor installs non-factory parts on a factory vehicle. If someone knows the answer, please share. If/when Toyota releases a "Jimmy Buffet Edition" FJC, I can easily grasp the concept of aftermarket parts. However, Toyota options should be just that - Toyota options, unless otherwise stated (which they were not in this instance).

*Apologies issued if I ranted too much above* :eek:

Easy......the dealer makes more money on the aftermarket hitch. All pickups used to come with no rear bumper.............but the dealer just happened to have the perfect one;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom