Hitch-mounted setup for transporting plywood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is kinda where I'm thinking, and I think it's a great solution. Home Depot and Lowes have pickup trucks for daily rental, pretty cheap.

@tbisaacs I see it up there but don't see how it's secured. Are those really full 4x8 sheets? Doesn't look like it.

Nope! 4x4 birch!

It doesn’t though. I switched to an LC rack and no more or less noise.

Just thinkin...

I think the silly RR on the LX might be more an indication of assumptions corporate marketing execs make about LX customers vs. LC—right or wrong. Who knows... but often as “luxury” perceptions are created...”utility” focus is deliberately diminished.

Sorta like the crazy grill they stuck on the LX in ‘16. All style... Zero utility. Most loyal Lexus customers aren’t looking for work-related vehicle’s.

Not saying that’s a wrong approach. I just do wonder if the mini-me RR is more a reflection of this marketing factor than anything else.

It doesn’t though. I switched to an LC rack and no more or less noise.
On your current rack, try sliding the crossbars all the way to the rear and then compare to when they are all the way front.

My guess is to reduce wind noise.

Very possible. When you consider that the first crossbar is now 10" further back from the driver position. Airflow is more laminar further back whereas the airflow is turbulent off the top of the windshield. I'd expect Lexus to be anal retentive about noise so I can see your point.

Like @tbisaacs , I can't hear a difference with my LC rack. Then again, my LX is not quite the deprivation chamber quiet any longer with tire mods. I also have a 3rd crossbar on my LC rack always in place. And a fuel can mount.

Besides those, I despise having my ski racks and roof top storage on for long drives with the added noise and aero resistance.

Interesting when I had my 4th gen 4Runner, there were sticker designations on the roof rack as where to have the cross bars for max quietness. Haven't seen such a thing on LX's.

It's a comment on my tires and old gears that adding a huge roof top box didn't change my noise profile at all. :cautious:

One last thought... You might want to consider buying an used OEM LC rack, since they fit...and are likely hanging around garages when roof racks get upgraded.

I’ll never understand why they thought the LX should have a mini-me RR.
The LC designers secretly conspired to let the 200's win at something? :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom