Hitch mounted bike rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New LC owner here and I am in the market for a new rack for our mountain bikes. Looking at a North Shore or Recon racks. My main concern is finding a rack that will safely hold our family's mountain bikes but also allow the rear tailgate to go down. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think you've covered your bases if you're looking to store the bikes vertically. And vertically is the only way to carry >3 bikes IMO. If you're only looking to carry 2 (3 with 1-UP), I'd put these on the list for a horizontal option:
1-UP, 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

Or the new Rocky Mounts Swing Away, but it can only mount 2 bikes
BackStage Swing Away Platform Hitch Rack

If it’s just mountain bikes and you carry more than 2 bikes north shore or recon all the way. Way more simple and stout (no moving parts other than the pivot) lighter and way smaller profile for storage when not on your hitch. Easier to load, unload and secure the bikes. The 4 bike tray racks are huge and heavy. I had a yakama and I have many friends that have switched to North shore after seeing mine and have gone that way from yakama, Thule, or kuat.

North shore only work with mountain bikes and have been doing he design longer Recon will also hold road bikes.

Both are small companies of real bikers that only sell direct. I picked up my north shore a few years ago when we made a Whistler trip and the guys there were top notch.

If it matters north shore are made in BC Canada and recon are made in WA state.

And to answer your question. I have the north shore 4 bike and with it pivoted down I can open my tail gate. I carry 4 modern trail/enduro bikes with 100-160 mm travel and 26” and 27.5 wheels. I have also used it for mountain bikes with 24” and 29” wheels with no problems.

I second the 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE vote. Great customer service and rock solid. Kuat, yakima and all those look like suck cheap plastic when i se them now. can load a bike in seconds and it doesn't shake at all. I did the 2 bike version but plan on adding the extra 2 bike extender when kids get older (bigger bikes). the tailgate goes down fine with the 2 bikes....not sure with 4

Thanks all. I have an older thule t-2 with the extender but am looking to get a vertical mounted rack. I don't think i communicated that very well.

I think the my question really comes down to whether the North Shore rack and/or recon allow the tailgate to go down. ColeAk indicated that the NS does work with the tailgate so I need go check out a recon. I am in Washington so should be able to find one to test if no one here has one and can chime in.

Hey coleAk...any issues with the Northshore rack damaging your bikes? We have higher-end enduro bikes for the whole family. I have heard some rumblings that their system can wear out the spots on your bike where the rack makes contact compared to the recon which uses a tire basket.

I have a Yakima holdup that has worked well for me. This year I plan to get the +2 adapter to carry 4 bikes. It is a heavy rack and the bikes get pretty far back from the vehicle but it's solid even with DH bikes on it. The rack doesn't stay on the LC, it's just for travel.

Additionally, I plan to buy a Kuat Pivot or Yakima backswing BackSwing so that I can pivot the whole rack away from the car. That will help with loading and unloading on a trip - just makes it a little easier.

The pivot adapters can work with any rack, might be something to look at no matter what you choose.

That backswing looks pretty sweet but i would be concerned using it with 4 full suspensions bikes. It does look beefy but 4 bikes plus a rack at full extension might be asking a lot.

250# max load - rack + bikes. Even with 4 DH bikes and the rack it should be ok but I had the same thought!

Hey coleAk...any issues with the Northshore rack damaging your bikes? We have higher-end enduro bikes for the whole family. I have heard some rumblings that their system can wear out the spots on your bike where the rack makes contact compared to the recon which uses a tire basket.
None I have noticed (I won’t say no minimal cosmetic scratches if you really look) and I have had it for 5 years. I have take bikes all over AK and western Canada, even used it up the Dalton past the arctic circle. I use it on my LX and have a 2” receiver on our camper for it as well, probably have 20-25k miles of use so far. There are foam covers for where it grabs the bike and when I got my rack I got a bunch of extra ones as I also heard of damage. So far I have replaced 2 of the foam covers mainly due to when my daughter was on a 24” it was a tight fit. I trust about $30k in bikes on it and I really can’t say enough good about it.

Another huge advantage is with 4 bikes your tail lights are still mostly visible. With the tray style not the case so I think you could assume getting bikes smashed in a rear ended is more likely when one can’t see your lights. And it also didn’t extend nearly as far out and is higher up so gives a way better departure angle for off roading.

I had a yakama holdup with the +2 to make 4. And off the truck it is HUGE (so is the Thule and kuat) and weighted 90 lbs. Seriously I have a 3.5 car garage and it took up most of the .5 part. My north shore folds almost flat.

thanks for the info. My T-2 is falling apart so i went ahead and ordered the NS 4 bike rack. I considered the 6 bike version but i rarely, if ever, have that many bikes to haul and it will help keep me from becoming a shuttle bunny to my buddies.

I was in the same boat but glad I got the 4 bike. I have 66” Yakama crossbars and rail grab for the roof. I use if for ski racks all winter and for a 16’ canoe as well as a cargo box sometimes in the summer. Hate putting bikes on and off the roof of my LX but I have 2 trays for the roof that that I put outside the towers I use once or twice a summer when I take extra kids to bike races.

I have had a 6 bike carrier from Yakima that has held up for the last 10 years going back and forth to Colorado from Texas. It is heavy but also pretty strong. No issues yet.

I've been using a Thule 4-bike rack a couple of times a week for many years. It's simple, solid, and gives me a bit more ground clearance if necessary off road than does a platform carrier. Tilts back to allow full hatch access and tailgate opens almost completely...the edge just touches the latch on the rack. But I've been sitting on it and climbing in and out with no problems.

On my way to a NICA race this morning...try not to look at the crummy truck.

IMG_20180428_082752770_HDR.jpg

Highly recommend the 1UP rack. With the rack folded down the lower tailgate can be opened completely flat and comes to rest just above the first tray, almost like it was designed for the truck. When the rack is folded up with two trays installed the upper gate can also be opened without hitting the rack.

IMG_4832.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom