Hitch mount winch front/rear/off-rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got in a discussion with a guy today about winch placement on a trail rig. He said that he prefers a tight fight front/rear bumper with a built in receiver hitch on the two bumpers. He wires a the connectors to both locations with marine grade connectors. He then carries IN the truck his hitch mounted M12000. If he needs to winch out either way, he just gets the winch out, inserts it into which ever receiver he needs, and then winches out.

The other option he said he has done, is to actually strap the winch to a tree with a tow strap. He carries a battery jumper box that he hooks up to the winch to power it. He said it won't last more than one "unstuck" but then you're out and you can recharge it when you get home. :grinpimp:

anyone else have any input on an approach like this? Seems really interesting. :popcorn:

I have heard of it - the main problem is the assumption that the stuck position you are in will allow you to receiver hitch mount a winch out in front of the bumper. You don't have the clearance, which may be a substantial requirement, and you don't have a winch. I wouldn't do this for a rock crawler and probably not for a serious mudder either.

I'm always of the opinion that a rear winch is truly only a consideration if you wheel alone. In a group, you send your winch rigs through the obstacles first. Strap them back if needed, or they winch forward.

The other issue with a receiver mount is you'd better be winching straight on, or that is potentially huge leverage on the hitch to the side.

Interesting idea that pretty much falls apart in practicality.

I had a removable winch mount on another truck.

The key to wheeling is to do it with the winch in place in the front, or as Nay said, you run the risk of getting stuck in a position where you can't insall the winch.

I had both ends wired for the winch, but I never, in three years, had cause to winch from the back.

If I were to do it again, I would mount the winch with two receivers a foot apart instead of one in the centre. That way the load is more widely distributed, can handle more stress, and the winch won't "wobble" when you're moving.

It's a great set up if you aren't joe hard core rock crawler. If you use your winch primarily for helping others unstick, it's great. It also gives you a heavy duty power outlet for jumping, etc. at the front and rear, and the Warn wiring kits are reasonably priced. I'm considering it for my rig, as i have a friend who has it and likes it. I also like the idea of not having all that weight up front for daily driving. And, I had a rig that had a receiver on the front before, it makes putting your boat into tight spots a breeze if you hook up to the front. As to how strong the mount is, if you use a 10k rated towing receiver and brace the hell out of it, your frame would bend first.

I havn't got a wich yet but built my front bumper with 2 recievers so I can slide a winch tray easily in if I need a winch and remove it if I dont. also keept the bumper tight in and will keep the winch high. I wheel with my Dad and brothers who all drive around al the time with big ol winches hooked to there heeps. in our last 4 outings we have used a winch once (tow straps more often) I drove my bronco around for years with a winch on the front and will never do it again. why carry that thing around all the time?
How often do you guys use your winches? These are great trucks but they are still 6000lb cows wearing 35" tires. (37's soon for me)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=78597&highlight=bumper
i pic there

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98285&highlight=rotw
few more pics here

Last edited:
Ummmm, I think my M12000 is pretty heavy and I wouldn't want to be lugging it around, especially anywhere I was stuck.

I havn't got a wich yet but built my front bumper with 2 recievers so I can slide a winch tray easily in if I need a winch and remove it if I dont. also keept the bumper tight in and will keep the winch high. I wheel with my Dad and brothers who all drive around al the time with big ol winches hooked to there heeps. in our last 4 outings we have used a winch once (tow straps more often) I drove my bronco around for years with a winch on the front and will never do it again. why carry that thing around all the time?
How often do you guys use your winches? These are great trucks but they are still 6000lb cows wearing 35" tires. (37's soon for me)

This is why I will be doing a tube bumper and smaller rating winch with syn rope (if I do a winch at all). I should get out the door for ~120 lbs total, which is nothing, and the winch can stay tucked up as much as possible inside the frame rails.

There are good middle grounds here: you don't have to add a big ole bull bar and M12000 for the once in a blue moon usage. Once you break free of the ARB trance (outback expeditions undertaken in suburban America) a lot of good options open up :D

But I agree completely - there is no way I would add 300 lbs of heavy duty winch and bull bar just to feel good about having it there. Probably the best winch in the world is the one on your friend's rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom