Hitch Camera (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have one when trailering their 200?

Does the reverse camera suffice?

I won't have my trailer until next month but I'm considering installing one now.

I've never trailered or towed anything so this wil be all new to me.

Dash cams are so cheap I figure it's a simple aid

I've seen some people putting a camera low down near the hitch ball and it helps people line up the hitch and ball

there are a bunch of them available on amazon. some apparently have magnetic attach, and will work with your cell phone. but in the comments, some buyers state that they "fell off" while towing. :)

too bad the backup cam can not be manually activated while towing. i would love to check on the load shifting while on a long trip. you really can not easily see the load any other way.

i guess you could get off the highway, and put her into reverse while you are stopped to check.

I've seen some people putting a camera low down near the hitch ball and it helps people line up the hitch and ball

I use this camera and it is the greatest thing ever with one person. You just have to realize that it's purpose is to focus on the last few inches of aligning the ball with the trailer. The problem with the built-in camera is that it is a slightly sideways view and not straight down.

I mostly use my own eyeball for the gross alignment and the iBall camera for the fine tuning. I can almost always connect the trailer by myself on the first try.

Amazon product ASIN B0747WHG3J

Last edited:
Factory camera, a bit of practice, and occasionally getting out of the driver's seat to confirm position will suffice. My kids will spot me by pointing left, right, and stop into the camera if they're around. IMO it's not worth $$$ for this problem... if anything you'd be better off relocating the factory camera to be perfectly centered (perhaps under the spoiler?)

If you're going to drop $ on a camera, one on the back of your trailer is probably more useful. My wife and I just use hand signals and radios but I've considered buying an inexpensive one at some point

I use this camera and it is the greatest thing ever with one person. You just have to realize that it's purpose is to focus on the last few inches of aligning the ball with the trailer. The problem with the built-in camera is that it is a slightly sideways view and not straight down.

I mostly use my own eyeball for the gross alignment and the iBall camera for the fine tuning. I can almost always connect the trailer by myself on the first try.

Amazon product ASIN B0747WHG3J
in my 2018 lx, i found that if i put my reading glasses on i can actually SEE the ball, and the trailer receptacle. i can get it lined up within an inch or so, and just brute force it the last big as i lower onto the ball. those top down view cameras really are a game changer.

i would instead want a camera that could show me that a ratchet strap fell off, or some big box is about to tip off the back because some ropes loosened up. A lot of times you THINK it is all tied down well, but then after some bumps and jolts you find out it is not held in one particular axis....

Don't bother wireless one.
Camera lagging sucks... like a second delay transmitting video images.
I would go with a wired one and look carefully... the video quality really sucks on most models on Amazon.
Ask me how I know...

Don't bother wireless one.
Camera lagging sucks... like a second delay transmitting video images.
I would go with a wired one and look carefully... the video quality really sucks on most models on Amazon.
Ask me how I know...
i had a garmin GPS with a rear camera that wirelessly mounted to the license plate.
the quality of the image was FINE.
the problem was, being wireless, it was mostly off. when i first started up the car, the GPS sensed the +12V applied, and told the rear camera to turn on. THAT is where the delay was, the camera turned on, then had to pair with the garmin GPS bluetooth. sometimes took five, or even 10 seconds to pair. a PIA.

if i were driving for a while, and wanted to back up, i had to tell the gps i was backing up by touching the screen

Triple rear view mirror dash cam…It may check all the boxes for me.

One on the back of the trailer to show me what’s behind me while on the road.
One on the midline rear as a hitching aid and trailer monitoring camera.
One pointing forward.

All recording as a good insurance policy for accidents and traffic stops.

I don’t wanna say too much until I actually install and test it. And I just discovered there is a quad camera too….one has android 9.0 built into the mirror. It maybe too crazy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom