Hitch Basket/Cargo Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Looking at trying to do something to add a little more space without adding a roofrack at this point. I was looking into a hitch basket for hunting season, just something so I can add a cooler and a couple jerry cans. However, I have read some older post on here about things melting or burning due to exhaust and reducing the approach angle. Are there any you would recommend that might mitigate this issue? Also, is there enough clearance to flip down the tailgate when getting into it?

Thanks,

Bob

I have one. I don’t use it when ovelanding/off roading. I want to be able to go anywhere and you can’t with that thing back there. Save your money and get a roof rack.

They are cheap and can hold up to 500lbs. I got one at Napa for $100. Exhaust melting things should be easy to predict and mitigate. Roof racks increase your aerodynamic drag whereas hitch racks don't. Obviously not a good choice for serious off-roading but ideal for everything else.

I keep the folding Harbor Freight item on my LC at all times. Folded, it adds about 8 inches of protrusion from the receiver.

I have KISS drawers in the back, and they are stocked with camping, recovery, cooking and skiing items as well as tools and spares. I don't need to get in them often, so having the basket rack in the way of the lower gate is not a big issue. Most items get loaded/unloaded at drawer platform height.

I find it to be super useful for carrying bulky items, dirty parts, small motorcycles, etc. that I don't want in the cabin. I also find when I ski, that I use the basket as a patio & the lower hatch as a deck. Sit on the deck while changing ski boots to shoes, both of which never touch the ground, only the rack.

The folding rack may have a little less capacity that a static rack, but I think the trade off is worth it.

12D787EC-0523-4843-98A2-00257A9C84A7.jpeg

Last edited:
The hitch carrier is great. I bought one from a welder and it is very heavy duty. If you are taking a deer to the processor just throw it in the carrier and wash it off later. I also use it for lawn mowers or other lawn equipment so I don't get gas smell inside the 100. Also easy to load mulch, bags of sand or rocks at Home Depot. Never had a problem with anything burning since there is a good amount of space between the rear bumper. You can also get one of those hitch drops and turn it upside down to raise the carrier and push it further from the bumper.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I am trying to avoid a roof rack at this point, I use it as a DD and my hunting rig. I 'm not doing any crazy offroad wheeling but spend a lot of time on FS roads. I'd really only need something for elk season when I need my big cooler. Maybe I'm dumb or weak but it doesn't seem like an easy thing to get a cooler full of 175 lbs (give or take ) of meat up and off the roof by myself.

I'll have to try the recommendation for skiing, be nice to change with a little foot stool lol, I already use the tailgate to sit on when I am changing but almost always end up getting my feet in the snow.

I've been looking into the adapters that would get it out far enough to clear the tailgate and lift it up to give me better clearance.

something like this

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter - 2" Hitches - 10-1/4" Rise/Drop - 10K GTW, 400 lbs TW Roadmas

or this

Dual Hitch Extender

I need to get out and do some measurements later and see what I can get to work.

Thanks for the help

I keep the folding Harbor Freight item on my LC at all times. Folded, it adds about 8 inches of protrusion from the receiver.

I have KISS drawers in the back, and they are stocked with camping, recovery, cooking and skiing items as well as tools and spares. I don't need to get in them often, so having the basket rack in the way of the lower gate is not a big issue. Most items get loaded/unloaded at drawer platform height.

I find it to be super useful for carrying bulky items, dirty parts, small motorcycles, etc. that I don't want in the cabin. I also find when I ski, that I use the basket as a patio & the lower hatch as a deck. Sit on the deck while changing ski boots to shoes, both of which never touch the ground, only the rack.

The folding rack may have a little less capacity that a static rack, but I think the trade off is worth it.

View attachment 2168306

Is this the one that you have?
750 lb. Capacity Heavy Duty Folding Cargo Carrier

The reason for me wanting to get a hitch carrier is because I am planning on building a sleeping platform in the back. I'd need to relocate at least one of my coolers to have the room.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I am trying to avoid a roof rack at this point, I use it as a DD and my hunting rig. I 'm not doing any crazy offroad wheeling but spend a lot of time on FS roads. I'd really only need something for elk season when I need my big cooler. Maybe I'm dumb or weak but it doesn't seem like an easy thing to get a cooler full of 175 lbs (give or take ) of meat up and off the roof by myself.

I'll have to try the recommendation for skiing, be nice to change with a little foot stool lol, I already use the tailgate to sit on when I am changing but almost always end up getting my feet in the snow.

I've been looking into the adapters that would get it out far enough to clear the tailgate and lift it up to give me better clearance.

something like this

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter - 2" Hitches - 10-1/4" Rise/Drop - 10K GTW, 400 lbs TW Roadmas

or this

Dual Hitch Extender

I need to get out and do some measurements later and see what I can get to work.

Thanks for the help
I have the dual hitch extender and it works awesome. Can open both parts of tailgate with my big cooler on it. Raises up enough to be able to still overland with it on. Went thru some decent stuff on way to HIH last summer.

20190722_205147.jpg

View attachment 2168306
Would not fit on mine. Swingout would be in the way.

I have the dual hitch extender and it works awesome. Can open both parts of tailgate with my big cooler on it. Raises up enough to be able to still overland with it on. Went thru some decent stuff on way to HIH last summer.

Sweet! That looks like the setup I'm probably after. Thanks for the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom