Hit it with one to many uga duggas How screwed am I? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So if I get this broken bolt shaft off of the stud does anyone know where I can get a replacement sex bolt (yes that's what they are called)

I got two for .94 each from partsouq, along with the plastic covers a couple years ago. 15 bucks shipped and I had them in like 4 days. Kids made off with them or they just got lost during a move 🤷‍♂️ But, yeah. Not something you’ll find at a hardware store.

Bro live your life with no regrets. Think about what you've learned along the way. Ever forward
You really should have bought a Jeep.

I got two for .94 each from partsouq, along with the plastic covers a couple years ago. 15 bucks shipped and I had them in like 4 days. Kids made off with them or they just got lost during a move 🤷‍♂️ But, yeah. Not something you’ll find at a hardware store.
Do you remember the specs? is it just an M12 1.25 SEX bolt?

The front wiper blade bolt PN is 90176-08016 for anyone dealing with this. $3.48 before any discounts from Mr. T.

Last edited:
So if I get this broken bolt shaft off of the stud does anyone know where I can get a replacement sex bolt (yes that's what they are called)

4-5 years ago I found (online) an aftermarket new front wiper linkage but can't find the link, IIRC it was from Vietnam or Thailand. Might have been on fleabay.

FWIW some photos below to show the shaft/spindle when it's taken apart.

Wiper spindle assembly 2.JPG

Wiper spindle assembly 1.JPG

No hijack intended, but FWIW I took the wiper spindles of the linkage assembly apart then had a small shop drill the spindle/shaft.

If you look closely you can see the hole I had a machinsist drill down the center of the shaft just under where the cap nut would go along with a small communicating hole out the side of the shaft. This was to allow the grease (I used Molykote G-4700) to flow into the housing and lube the bushings. It also should help keep water out which I found can get inside.

Point is: that shaft appeared easy to drill (at least watching the machinist it looked easy for him), but then he was using a vertical milling machine which allowed him to set it perfectly vertical so the hole went down the center of the shaft.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Got it in less than 5 mins.

1. I used my spring-loaded punch to put 4 dimples in the shaft of the bolt
IMG_0032.jpg

2. Then I drilled the holes with a 5/64th bit with a slight angle away from the threads
IMG_0033.jpg

3. Once that was done I pushed the wiper down onto the spindle as much as I could and then used a rubber hammer to smack it down further, this broke the wiper loose from the barrel of the broken Chicago bolt
3. Finally I put the tips of a set of skinny needle nose pliers in two holes across from each other and used a screwdriver to spin the barrel of the bolt and loosen it. Job done, threads are fine.
1.png
2.png
3.png

Ya and it’ll be worth it. There’s always a disgusting amount of dust in my rig after each of my wheeling trips and I’m tired of having to detail every nook and cranny every weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom