Hit by drunk driver... how bad is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hit head on by a drunk driver late last night. Thank god for my ARB bull bar.

The truck was idling and functioning perfectly at the scene (obviously I wasn’t driving around much). The cops looked at it and said it was up to me to report to insurance but they probably wouldn’t. Anyways I started driving away and realized my alignment was off... understandable. But then upon further inspection the front left wheel has been shoved back. It now rubs when turning left.

The frame doesn’t seem bent from what I can tell. But looking at the springs, it looks angled on the driver side and passenger side it looks normal. So it does seem like things have been pushed back.

How bad can this be? I’m sitting in a parking lot waiting for an alignment shop to open, I hired I’d post to get an idea of where I might stand. Alignment won’t fix this whee issue at all correct? What am I in for here? I figure this means I should definitely contact insurance?

You can see the difference passenger side to driver side.

FC05F7B7-B67D-4B7A-9DDB-AF0D90BB026A.jpeg

646F010E-1C89-453E-85B4-113FF7F5CFA1.jpeg

FDAFEB47-C410-479E-BD55-D00BFF041CCF.jpeg

D19032B7-D54F-47CB-B1A9-30EB01B3A2C9.jpeg

E445D1FF-FE03-442A-A4B0-C52F6D267C9A.jpeg

I’ll bet the radius arm is bent. Crawl under and compare to each other.

Holy hell. How did I miss that.

Yeah it’s bent like crazy. Well that’s good news I guess? I’d rather it be there than in the frame? Anything I can do about it on the road? I’m 500 miles from home

F3FE9CDF-D806-49C2-8116-C3A75389329D.jpeg

Wow. Find someone with a 30+ ton press to straighten it out and drive home would be my idea. That's me though.

You should 100% report it to their insurance company? Why wouldn’t you?

No idea. I was leaning towards it, cops suggested not to. Really took me by surprise if I’m being honest. The car is in GREAT shape given the conditions but it is not perfect and I don’t want to be paying this out of pocket

There is no gap between the bumper and driver fender any longer either. Judging by the pics the hood is popped up a little on the driver side also.

There is no gap between the bumper and driver fender any longer either. Judging by the pics the hood is popped up a little on the driver side also.

Nice catch. Also looks like I took a little bit of damage just behind where the arb sits. Also turn signal is not sitting flush.

This is the first look I’m really getting at it. Accident happened midnight last night, didn’t have a home or garage to go to.

98F07AA6-7B63-4E68-9EE8-99B206A41628.jpeg

82027966-8E43-4F7A-A5B2-D253BB28317D.jpeg

are front frame horns tweeked visibly? im also betting the front axle is bent at the ball end. based upon the damage to the car and that arm-..im betting the frame is tweeked a bit.

with a,lifted rig and bumoer....cars typically get driven down under as the front end lifts slightly to start absorbing energy. the car that hit me looked about half as trashed and was wedged under my bumper into the wheel.

id definitely have the frame measured for straightness. and id be willing to bet the axle housing is bent at the end on that side.

Last edited:
You have a lot more damage than just that arm.

But salvageable right?

I am literally on a trip to NorCal from San Diego to get my 4X4Labs bumper installed and an auxiliary 24gallon fuel tank. Probably the most expensive upgrades I’ll do to the truck. Kind of a bummer this happened on this trip. I was looking forward to having the car be “done”, but I guess the projects are never over lol

But salvageable right?

I am literally on a trip to NorCal from San Diego to get my 4X4Labs bumper installed and an auxiliary 24gallon fuel tank. Probably the most expensive upgrades I’ll do to the truck. Kind of a bummer this happened on this trip. I was looking forward to having the car be “done”, but I guess the projects are never over lol

I personally would rent a truck and trailer. If you are going to George for the tank, call and ask of he can repair the truck also.

That is a long drive.

I personally would rent a truck and trailer. If you are going to George for the tank, call and ask of he can repair the truck also.

That is a long drive.
This is a good idea. I'd also report to insurance. Unfortunately there's probably a bit you havent see that's damaged...sorry that happened to you. Glad you're okay.

i cant imagine your insurance wont salvage it if your frame and axle are bent along with damage to all front end panels. an adjuster will look at the gaps on hood, fenders,doors and if most are off -coupled with any frame and axle damage.....its gonna get salvaged vs repaired based on vehicles blue book imho.

you probably can buy it back and spend the winter getting it rehabbed. But it might be easier / quicker to source a lower mile one?

That is a long drive.

That is what I was thinking. I know he’s busy but I’ll just have to stay up here until he can hopefully knock it out. I’m only about 40 miles away, I can probably limp over there in the early morning hours.

i cant imagine your insurance wont salvage it if your frame and axle are bent along with damage to all front end panels. an adjuster will look at the gaps on hood, fenders,doors and if most are off -coupled with any frame and axle damage.....its gonna get salvaged vs repaired based on vehicles blue book imho.

you probably can buy it back and spend the winter getting it rehabbed. But it might be easier / quicker to source a lower mile one?

Damn sucks to hear.

The gap on the doors and everything is fine. Everything closes fine and feels good. The hood could actually be from a non oem hood strut, I recently replaced them and I remember they needed to be jammed in and left the hood kind of that way... can’t remember if it was that bad though.

Frame from what I can tell looks fine. Axle may be bent slightly, and everything else from the pictures needs work for sure.

I’d really hope it doesn’t have to be salvaged but I like this truck so much I might just buy it back and keep it anyways. Didn’t have intentions to ever sell.

But salvageable right?

I would say your trip has officially been canceled. The truck is definitely salvageable, but your going to want the insurance company to total it first. I would say to find a competent body shop wherever you are and tow/ drive the truck to them and leave it or ship it back home. A transporter between NorCal and San Diego wouldn’t cost more than $400 I would imagine. If the other party has insurance, their insurance company will pay for the tow and your rental car. The prices for 80’s are going up so make sure the insurance company doesn’t rip you off. USE BRINGATRAILER WHEN NEGOTIATING WITH THEM. The amount they give you is to replace your truck hassle free. Remember that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom