Hit and run on my 60 - Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was parked on the street in Nanaimo yesterday evening and when I returned to my truck I noticed it was at a 45 degree angle with the front wheels nearly in the ditch. Turns out someone backed into the front drivers fender and axle and caved in the fender. They also managed to push by truck about 6 feet, so it looks like a hard hit. Luckily, it looks like it only got the fender, not the body.

I have insurance on it that should cover this. Does anyone have advice for dealing with ICBC on these older rigs? I am worried they will try to write it off. Any recommendations on repair shops that are good at dealing with these trucks?

I will post some pictures later.

On my truck when it was stolen, I took ads of trucks with similar modifications ect for sale with me when I went to talk to them. The result was that I was able to convince them that fixing was better then writing off. Not sure of the current state of your rig but that may help. If all it is, is a new fender you could price one at Toyota and go with that, just don't forget to factor in some paint ect.

Yeah, Icbc try to write everything off.

Print off as many ads for clean diesel sixties as you can find before you meet up with them.

Had to do that with celica once. I bombarded them with ads that were 3x what they were offering.

Be really careful with ICBC. That being said, there is no mandate to write off older trucks, so it should work out. Get a couple of estimates from reputable shops, and they may just write a cheque and leave you to your own devices on how or where you get the repair done. I have done that in the past. FYI, I just was on SOR -Spectre Off Road, and they have a newly arrived shipment of 40 + 60 series front fenders sale price. Could be fortuitous timing. How does the rad support look?
Sounds like a solid hit though, I've dealt with the manager at Craftsman Collision, I had the rolling frame from my FJ 40 tweaked for approx $450. They have a good frame machine and I would advise at least checking your frame. I do my own repairs so that is all I had them do.
I can recommend the guy who did the paint and body on my 60. Easy to work with, and reasonable. PM me if you want his info.
Bummer, I've had hit and runs on me before and it's just bloody wrong! Any chance there was security camera or any witnesses? Good luck

If you've kept receipts for parts (and labor if you had someone else do the work), make sure you put them all in order, and even make a spreadsheet to tabulate them. I had a project car that was written off when someone rear-ended it. I gave ICBC a spreadsheet (without receipts even) of all the parts I'd bought for the car. They gave me to the cent what I'd payed for the car and all the parts I'd put into it. My labor was lost, but I didn't mind, as at least I got my money out of it.

Also, I find that being respectful and calm goes a long ways with ICBC. If you're an a******, you won't get far.

Pics.

ICBC will write off a 60 awfully fast..... assuming you have a 60, I seem to remember you are a sixty guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom