Hissing and charping while accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It doesn't happen if I put the truck on park and press the gas from idle to 2000 rpm (or higher although I haven't tried higher). However while driving, it starts sort of charping from 1st gear and then hissing rest of the time. My guess is the hissing noise is coming from trh cat? It seems like both the charping and hissing coming from the front passenger side, well that's what my wife said while she was sitting on the passenger side. Form the driver sit it feels like it is coming from under the passenger side to me. It's really hard to pin point where exactly it is coming from. Is this some sort of leak? Any one else had it?

Thanks

80's have a common whistle that sounds like a cross between the turbo spooling and a VW bug, the cause is in the muffler but the noise is most apparent at the tail pipe. the whistle usually is only heard under load so would not happen in park. mine was much more noticeable when I temporarily removed the inner panel on the right side of the cargo area.

Is this your noise? Or do you have an exhaust leak?

Yes it is. But in addition to that there's this charping noise. My question is: is this an exhaust manifold type of leak or simply the tail pipe as you mentioned. I used to get this similar charping noise in my previous truck (2001 Xterra). It was an exhaust manifold leak and it was replaced under warranty. I think it turned into a recall issue but anyway... how do I check if it is an exhaust leak and correct me if I'm wrong, by exhaust leak you meant exhaust manifold leak or some thing else?

Thanks

An exhaust leak can be right at the head/manifold interface or anywhere down stream at joints in the exhaust or if the exhaust has cracked somewhere, sounds are hard to accurately portray in text, "chirping" could be a lot of things. I generally associate exhaust leak with a tick or tapping noise.

If you suspect an exhaust leak maybe visually inspect all of the exhaust system. Get a flashlight and a mirror look for soot and physical damage especially around joints,

Another common problem is stones in rattling in the exhaust shield near the right front tire and loose shields there and one on the cat. Maybe lightly rap these with a hammer and see if you can recreate it.

You are right! It's hard to accurately portray the sound in text. I asked my wife what does it sound like, she said I could say "chirping". But it could be tick or tapping noise too. To me it sounds more like the noise you make when you clear your throat to spit :D. I am going to try what you said. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom