HIR bulb went out today.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Know people have been looking for data points on these, so I'd thought I'd share some inane info...

John Deere GE bulb, been in since February of 2004.... probably about 25 - 27K miles or so, about 10K of those at night. Slee headlight harness, not that it matters.

Haven't had a chance to look at it too close, as it's effin cold and snowy out right now. Just changed it with the original Koito bulb which I kept when I swapped them out.

Nothing extreme when it went out. Had just left my house, pulled off the road and into a parking lot to work the ice that had formed between my sliders and the body loose (makes a clunky sound... gets on my nerves), walked around to the passenger side to do the same, noticed it was out when I walked back.

Just ordered a couple of the Toshiba bulbs, till they get here I'll be driving with a dimeye. Figure, even IF two years is all I could expect out of them (and I know people have gotten longer), their light output is worth it. Thinking the Toshibas should last longer, as it was rumored the GE bulbs were of inferior quality.

Incedentally, to add insult to injury, about 3 minutes after I saw the light was out, a crack in my windshiled that had previously only been about 3" by the DS A-Pillar shot across almost all the way to the PS. Nice.

Guess I don't have to wonder what I'm going to do for lunch tomorrow....

is this the first reported failure of a HIR?

I think there was someone with a 100 series who had a failure within a month of installing them. Think the bulbs were defective, though.

Where did you order the Toshiba HIRs from? I'm thinking of ordering some.

CruiserLegolas said:
Where did you order the Toshiba HIRs from? I'm thinking of ordering some.

There's a guy selling them on eBay right now. Cheapest prices anywhere.... 2 of them were about $65 delivered priority USPS.

Boston Mangler said:
Check the connections. There have been report of corrosion on the slee harness.

Well, the harness looks fine--although I haven't taken it apart for inspection--and the standard Koito bulb I put in the dead HIR's place is working normal, so I'm pretty sure it was just the bulb.

The older style GE Bulb (which the Deere ones were) apparently had some issues with early failures. Apparently that is why the Toshiba Harrison bulbs has a more traditional look and what prompted the design change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom