Hippo liner DIY bedliner

Hi all.
I figured I should put in some sort of liner in the 40 while I had the cage out, So here it is. This is my first time doing such a project so bare with me.
Its an epoxy paint liner, You can brush/roll/spray, I sprayed, The palce I bought it at sold it for ~$60, I could have bought a colored liner at $80 + ~$40 for the color, I was going to go with blue but I told my wife it would be around $55....Most of us know what I was trying to avoid :grinpimp:
But first off there is a bit that will go into doing a spray in bedliner, First off I filled some minor holes in the boy from fender flairs with some POR15 puddy, It seems to work out nicely. Secondly I removed ALL the bolts even the soft top snaps and marker lights.
More to come
Getting started.jpg
Driver side.jpg
trans 2.jpg

Then I set about on sanding all the parts I was going to paint, It suggested 120-220 grit. It took some time to get all the nook's and cranny's but I hand sanded all the tight areas while the compressor filled. After that I vaccumed out the rig to get all the debris out then I used acetone to clean up all the paint dust and have a good clean canvase. Now I masked off ALL the area's I didnt want lined(belive me if you think it might get liner on it cover it!) After I masked off I gave it a prime to cover all the bare metal and I let that sit for about an hour to cure a bit.
I remover the jack box or whatever its called, If someone wants it let me know, I drilled all the spot welds and plased the welds.
Now comes the fun part....
Acetone clean up.jpg
Making PS.jpg
Masking rear.jpg

So to the fun part!
When I finished the masking I made sure I had everything ready to go, I have the regulator on the compressor set to ~45psi, the acetone was ready for clean up. I read and reread the how to on the liner, The sprayer would only hold about 1/3 of each mix, ther are 2 parts to the mix. I started to mix up the 2 part and let me tell you it was some of the most foul stinky stuff I have smelled in some time. I got it all mixed up and put the Schutz sprayer together and try it out on the rear doors first to see how it worked, I cant tell you how nervous I was when I was just about to spray for the first time, But after the first few pull's and with everything going well, I finished the rear doors and headed to the tub, I had to make 3 mixes total and had a little left over but I couldnt use it.
Here is what it looks like, It will need about 72 hours to cure due to the temp.
I didnt spray the trans cover due to not knowing if I will need to patch some holes for the NV4500 install.
Well, I think it was a great day's work and also a great upgrade!
If you have any questions feel free to ask, Im sure I missed something.
Have fun
Finished DS.jpg
Finished Bed.jpg
Finished PS.jpg

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Came out good man, Used the U-pol liner on my 45 i am redoing right now. I used the tintable stuff and it came out great. How thick did yours end up coming out ?

Thanks!
I was going to do a Gator Guard but I was told Hippo liner wouldnt fade or chalk up.
Im not 100% sure how thick it is but it did cover well, It all worked out great.
I thought about buying a second package of liner, Its only suppose to cover a small pick up bed, It may look like I missed a few area's but it was just a wetter area in the pic's
I know it was alot to read, thanks for taking the time.
Have fun

I have had a gallon (or is it half gallon??) of that stuff for prob 5 years now. I need to get my tub blasted before I put it on. Looks like you did a great job.

Does anyone know if this stuff goes bad from being on the shelf too long?

cheers-
Dustin

dustin said:
I have had a gallon (or is it half gallon??) of that stuff for prob 5 years now. I need to get my tub blasted before I put it on. Looks like you did a great job.

Does anyone know if this stuff goes bad from being on the shelf too long?

cheers-
Dustin

Hi Dustin, It has a shelf life of 12 months in 72 deg. temps....Yours might be bad, It has the shelf life on the box someplace.
Good luck

amg2y said:
Will this stuff work for undercoating?? What was the brand again. Thanks, :cheers:

I dont see whay it wouldnt work for undercaoting as long as the metal is preped properly, It might be easier to go with something a bit easier to spray from time to time, But that is just a thought.
Brand you say.... Its "Hippo liner":ban:
Good luck:D

Looks real good. I like how you carried it around to the outside where the doors seal up. How long did it take you to lay it all out?

usmcruiser said:
Looks real good. I like how you carried it around to the outside where the doors seal up. How long did it take you to lay it all out?

Thnaks.
I figured I would do it around the door frame because it is kind of a area that might get scratched up easier.
The lay out went fairly quick, Only about 30-45 min. for masking, I knew what I wanted to get painted by the time I finished sanding.

Stumpalama said:
The stuff works great as an under coating... for tub and fenders as well. Not affected by oil or solvants and take rock dings well.

Since I will be blasting the bottom of the tub I was thinking of using Hippo liner on the bottom as well.
Thanks for the tip:cheers:

llih said:
Got any pics of the tail gates? I am getting ready to spray my tub and wasn't sure about spraying the tail gates.
Thanks
Sure I will get some pic's up tonight, I knew I forgot something:cheers:

Here are the doors, I simply layed them on some cardboard and masked off the latch.
I think I will use this again on the trans cover and under the tub.
Good luck
Rear Doors.4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom