Hinges on driver/passenger doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just became a FJ 40 first time owner today :) as I purchased a beautiful restord mustard yellow 1975 with original engine. I am having a problem installing the steel doors. The owner was in a very mild climate and did not ever need to use the steel doors and has had the "summer doors" on it for years. Tried for over an hour to get those hinges off the doors tonight. I guess I can just swap them out but would prefer to not do that as the ones on the steel doors have been painted, the ones on the "summer doors" have not. Any suggestions on how to pop those hinges out? Out of 4-one popped right out, the other 3 will not move.

are you trying to pop the pin out that holds the hinge halves together? i use a punch

Yep, punch and bfh. :D

try spraying with some wd-40 or something and letting them sit a little.

Welcome to MUD! :beer:

Post up pics of the mustard 40 when you can. They're the coolest. Yep, I just use a long punch and a 4# hammer if they're on tough. Due to the windshield being tilted back I usually run the top pin upside down. They're so tight that they never come out or anything.

HawkDriver said:
Welcome to MUD! :beer:

Post up pics of the mustard 40 when you can. They're the coolest. Yep, I just use a long punch and a 4# hammer if they're on tough. Due to the windshield being tilted back I usually run the top pin upside down. They're so tight that they never come out or anything.

Thanks for the welcome. Very excited to own one of these!! I have tried wd-40 and have tried a punch or two. Have wacked the heck of it but they won't budge :frown: I guess I will just swap out and try onther day. Thanks again!!

alpinedirtfarmer said:
Thanks for the welcome. Very excited to own one of these!! I have tried wd-40 and have tried a punch or two. Have wacked the heck of it but they won't budge :frown: I guess I will just swap out and try onther day. Thanks again!!

Did you try the 4 pounder? It'll work with the proper amount of force. ;) You just gotta show it who's boss. :D

I plant the flat end of a little crowbar against the bottom of the pin, and whack away. It gives you a little more surface to hit, and you can't hit your hand! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom