HiLux tranny/LC transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star
Threads
Anyone have any experience mating a Toyota truck tranny to a Land Cruiser transfercase? The transmission will be an autobox from a mid 90's HiLux/Surf and I'd like to use a LC transfercase so that both front and rear shafts are offset to the right. Any ideas?

the LJ71 has a mini truck tranny (thought it is manual) with a LC t/case and i am guessing the LJ78 has both diffs off set with a minin truck tranny...

Well, I'm gonna go pick up the half-cut in a couple of weeks and I know I'll be pulling the HiLux/Surf TC. Until I see what kind of tail end the autobox has, I'll not be certain what my options are. On a side note, I had a good talk with one of the techs at Marlin Crawler who seems pretty certain that they can rig a toybox with the front side for the slushbox and the back side for a LC split TC. That would certainly give my 45 some crawling options!

All the Prado trucks have the mini transmissions and the LC transfers.

I have an R151 with a Land Cruiser split case sitting in Vancouver if you are interested. The attached bell housing is (I think) the 1H / 1P pattern.

Thanks Dave. I'll check out what's what with this half-cut once I receive it and then try to figure things out. I know that I want to use the autobox that is coming behind the 1KZ-TE, so whatever I end up using, it will have to work with that tranny. I'm going to end up with a 76 KZJ-45 when all is said and done.

Worse come to worst you can run a centered cruiser diff.

Dave

Dave said:
I have an R151 with a Land Cruiser split case sitting in Vancouver if you are interested. The attached bell housing is (I think) the 1H / 1P pattern.

Yes, if anyone is interested in this combo let us know. We will box, make sure it gets shipped and handle the details for Dave...:D

gb

And I can get it down to CA in a couple of months. I'll have some axles to go to TX too.

Dave

Well, I don't want to do surgery on a LC axle to make a center-mounted pumpkin. I'd much rather wed the HiLux tranny and a LC transfer. I'm not certain what I'll have to deal with until I get my hands on the half-cut. Then I'll be open to solutions. But I must admit, the Marlin Crawler toybox has a certain appeal . . . .

In the best of all possible worlds, the tranny will bolt up to one of my three spare LC tranfer cases.

Just and FYI for anyone looking into an R151 tranny. The R151 is what is used in the 100 series land Cruiser with Diesel and 5 speed tranny. So if you have any doubts about it, that should help you.

Cheers,

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom