1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiLux tranny/LC transfer

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by dieseldog, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Anyone have any experience mating a Toyota truck tranny to a Land Cruiser transfercase? The transmission will be an autobox from a mid 90's HiLux/Surf and I'd like to use a LC transfercase so that both front and rear shafts are offset to the right. Any ideas?

2. crushers

crushers post ho

the LJ71 has a mini truck tranny (thought it is manual) with a LC t/case and i am guessing the LJ78 has both diffs off set with a minin truck tranny...

3. dieseldog

Well, I'm gonna go pick up the half-cut in a couple of weeks and I know I'll be pulling the HiLux/Surf TC. Until I see what kind of tail end the autobox has, I'll not be certain what my options are. On a side note, I had a good talk with one of the techs at Marlin Crawler who seems pretty certain that they can rig a toybox with the front side for the slushbox and the back side for a LC split TC. That would certainly give my 45 some crawling options!

4. Dave

Dave

All the Prado trucks have the mini transmissions and the LC transfers.

I have an R151 with a Land Cruiser split case sitting in Vancouver if you are interested. The attached bell housing is (I think) the 1H / 1P pattern.

5. dieseldog

Thanks Dave. I'll check out what's what with this half-cut once I receive it and then try to figure things out. I know that I want to use the autobox that is coming behind the 1KZ-TE, so whatever I end up using, it will have to work with that tranny. I'm going to end up with a 76 KZJ-45 when all is said and done.

6. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Worse come to worst you can run a centered cruiser diff.

Dave

7. Greg_B

Greg_B

Yes, if anyone is interested in this combo let us know. We will box, make sure it gets shipped and handle the details for Dave...:D

gb

8. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

And I can get it down to CA in a couple of months. I'll have some axles to go to TX too.

Dave

9. dieseldog

Well, I don't want to do surgery on a LC axle to make a center-mounted pumpkin. I'd much rather wed the HiLux tranny and a LC transfer. I'm not certain what I'll have to deal with until I get my hands on the half-cut. Then I'll be open to solutions. But I must admit, the Marlin Crawler toybox has a certain appeal . . . .

In the best of all possible worlds, the tranny will bolt up to one of my three spare LC tranfer cases.

10. tlcruiserman

tlcruiserman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Just and FYI for anyone looking into an R151 tranny. The R151 is what is used in the 100 series land Cruiser with Diesel and 5 speed tranny. So if you have any doubts about it, that should help you.

Cheers,

Michael