Hilux diesel feedback please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a thread in the truck section but do not think I will get much response,can anyone give me some feedback on the reliability of the 2.4 turbo diesel Hilux 1992.

2.4 diesel Hilux motors are pretty slow, but they are damn reliable, so long as the timing belt is changed at the correct intervals.
If you break a belt the top end suffers considerable damage on these motors.
If you get a 2.4D, and don't know for certain when the last time the belt was replaced, put a new one on straight away, and have some piece of mind.
They are a great motor offroad, and give good fuel economy as well.
The hilux is a good vehicle for offroad work.
Put a load in the tray and a hill in front of them on the highway, and they are slow.
The first hilux diesels were 2.2's, followed by 2.4 then 2.8.
All very reliable.

what is the engine designation of the 2.4l. If it is a 2lt-e, I would run away fast. If it is a Kz, you would be much better off.

search 2lt on here or elsewhere. you'll see lots of people that end up getting them don't make it very far in canada.

bk

2.4 diesel Hilux motors are pretty slow, but they are damn reliable, so long as the timing belt is changed at the correct intervals.
If you break a belt the top end suffers considerable damage on these motors.
If you get a 2.4D, and don't know for certain when the last time the belt was replaced, put a new one on straight away, and have some piece of mind.
They are a great motor offroad, and give good fuel economy as well.
The hilux is a good vehicle for offroad work.
Put a load in the tray and a hill in front of them on the highway, and they are slow.
The first hilux diesels were 2.2's, followed by 2.4 then 2.8.
All very reliable.

I really have to disagree strongly with some this post - North American/repair shop experience here.

The L, 2L, 2LT and 2LTE are all problematic engines. The L and 2L are not as bad as the 2LT and 2LTE - but are still not worth the time and effort of transplanting into a vehicle if there are other options available.

The 2LT and 2LTE are garbage engines. Stay away from them.

The 3L (2.8 litre) is a pretty good engine, and seems to be lasting in most applications here.

Timing belt: a total disaster if it breaks - certainly as bad as having a head crack as far as cost goes.

~John

Aren't there enough threads on cracked 2L-T heads to scare most people?

I have to agree that I love the looks of the Hilux crew cabs that I've seen around...but if it has a 2L-T under the hood, I wouldn't touch it. I would stick with the proven 22re in a Toyota truck even though it's not a diesel.

I guess there is a reason you don`t have many diesels over there! Here it is the most common engine, the 2L and the 2LT... There are some head issues, but its still a good engine. Very reliable and easy to work with. Here we wouldn't hesitate to get this engine!!!

I have one in my 4runner, I have installed an intercooler, upgraded the exhaust to 3" and adjusted both boost and diesel amount. YouTube - Lapland trophy 2008 4runner on 39,5s I goes much better than a stock 1KZT engine. Which by the way has the same head issues. The 1KZT-E do not have an head issue.

Also, if a timing belt snaps.. It doesn't break anything in most cases, just install a new one and you good to go. I have seen people replace their engines due to timing belts, and sold the engines for cheap and the lucky buyers have just put a new belt in and run them.

Dont excagerate this problem, just be aware of this. Its quite easy to check to, if it uses coolant you have a problem, if not... Well!

Also, if a timing belt snaps.. It doesn't break anything in most cases, just install a new one and you good to go. I have seen people replace their engines due to timing belts, and sold the engines for cheap and the lucky buyers have just put a new belt in and run them.

Dont excagerate this problem, just be aware of this. Its quite easy to check to, if it uses coolant you have a problem, if not... Well!

All diesel engines are interference engines due to the combustion chamber design and compression ratio.

If the timing belt breaks, then you're after very, very significant repairs. With the bucket/shim system for adjusting the valve clearance (late 2LT, 2LTE and 3L), there is no forgiveness and any timing belt failure is catastrophic to the engine. When the pistons come up and hit the valves, you're looking at bent valves which destroy the valve guides - meaning that you either need to replace the whole head, or replace the guides and valves.

This is no exaggeration. It is the reality of the situation. The same thing applies to the 1HZ, 1HDT and others...

~John

All diesel engines are interference engines due to the combustion chamber design and compression ratio.

If the timing belt breaks, then you're after very, very significant repairs. With the bucket/shim system for adjusting the valve clearance (late 2LT, 2LTE and 3L), there is no forgiveness and any timing belt failure is catastrophic to the engine. When the pistons come up and hit the valves, you're looking at bent valves which destroy the valve guides - meaning that you either need to replace the whole head, or replace the guides and valves.

This is no exaggeration. It is the reality of the situation. The same thing applies to the 1HZ, 1HDT and others...

~John

Well, its a fact that several engines had NO damage whatsoever. In Norway 65% of all car sales are diesels, on toyota trucks they are close to 100%.

believe what you will...
ALL the L/N series engines are s***.
period.
gutless, all have head issues, none have decent fuel milage.

they don't even make good boat anchors.

They do a nice smoke show on the rocks:

YouTube - Danny5 0 0001 :D

As a side issue - I have seldom seen such a useless and pathetic video. (Aren't we meant to notice it is being winched?)

I rely on my MUD friends to direct me to decent clips not cr@p ones :mad:

:D

Oh and I think the 2LT (or at least some of them) has "a 2.5kW starter-motor/starter-solenoid assembly" that can be transplanted into a 1979 to 1984 BJ4# (provided you re-use your original nose) so it is nice for us if they self-destruct and get parted-out.

:cheers:

believe what you will...
ALL the L/N series engines are ****.
period.
gutless, all have head issues, none have decent fuel milage.

they don't even make good boat anchors.

How many have you seen? Over here I know at least 100 guys with trucks with these engines. I know a few guys who had head issues, up to 5. 2 of them were 1kzt, 3 was 2LT. All in all they have good statistics.

Its not a question of believing, its a question of knowing. And of cause there is more threads about head issues than threads about engines who dont have them. This is just plain stupid!

And you get good mpg on these to! I got 25-30mpg on my truck, with 37s after I installed an intercooler.

and as for 30 mpg... down hill with a tail wind and the engine shut off...MAYBE.

you like them, bully for you. it is your favorite engine, bully for you.

do a search, then you will become informed. till then ... it is all hot air.

~John

I'm liking my stock 2H engine more and more all the time, with its lack of fragile belts. Nothing like pure gear driven timing.

I had a Toyota pickup with the 2.4 years ago - it was my first diesel truck. It developed problems with the injector pump that led to some pretty bizarre high speed events on the highway with clouds and clouds of black smoke billowing out the tailpipe. This would last for 20 seconds, the engine howling at max revs, then the engine would die. It would re-start after that and run fine until the next random injector pump freakout. I christened that truck the Exxon Valdez...

Parts for the truck were very expensive as well - I remember Toyota quoting me $600 for the glow timer.

I wouldn't touch one of those trucks with a 10' pole.

and as for 30 mpg... down hill with a tail wind and the engine shut off...MAYBE.

you like them, bully for you. it is your favorite engine, bully for you.

do a search, then you will become informed. till then ... it is all hot air.

Well, I own one... and have done so for years! It has never failed me and has 230000km on the clock. And the mpg was not guessing, it was on MY truck when I drove it! And not slowly either...

Its not my favorite engine, but its a good engine.

I don`t need to do a search, this is common knowledge over here.

I don`t know you, and you don`t know me. :flipoff2:

This is intriguing. Some people manage to have good success with these engines even when worked hard on built-up rigs. knixen isn't the only one. Before the JDMs started showing up in Canada I thought I was the only one with bad luck with them 'cause some of the Canadian spec ones went for many hundreds of thousands of kilometers in mini trucks. I don't know if I've heard of a *single* JDM making it to 200,000km

I still think somebody needs to try one on Evans coolant. Run it up and down snowshed hill on the Coq about a half dozen times and if the head doesn't just fall on the ground we can consider the test a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom