Hilux diesel feedback please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really have to disagree strongly with some this post - North American/repair shop experience here.

The L, 2L, 2LT and 2LTE are all problematic engines. .

~John

What are the isues with the non turbo varieties? They sold thousands of them here. They maybe slow,dirty little bastards making a mess in the engine bay ,but not unreliable.

Hilux are the biggest selling small ute in oz ,about 25000 per year(2008) and half have been diesel since the 80s.

well, lets see i have warrantied 6 heads at $4000 a pop with upgrades. i have tried to convince others of the s*** engines but they would listen to individuals like you, buy one and then watch as they drop the coin to replace the head and then TRY and sell the truck for half of what they had invested.

Dan at 4wheel auto was selling 2-4 heads a week, a year or so back, now it is down to about 6 a month. since i don't own that many trucks then it is safe to say they are going somewhere. the replacement heads are the upgraded 3L heads and the second series of head cracking issues are showing up. sheesh, i guess i don't know nott'n since i am just a dumb old country boy.

the day i SEE a 2LT return 30 mpg in a stock truck i MIGHT start to believe someone can return 30 mpg in a lifted truck with 37s <rolling eyes>

glad to say you will be one of the VERY FEW with your view on this forum... well actually for all the suckers that might actually believe you i feel great pity.

i am out of here. enjoy spreading your beliefs.

<this should really be in chat so i can say what i really feel>

Your statements are not balanced between your opinion and facts. I am not saying you know nothing about this, but that over here the consensus is that it is a reliable engine.

If you don`t believe my mpg quotes, I don`t care...:rolleyes: Its still the truth. I guess with the 39,5s I get around 20mpgs, but I have added lots of weight to my truck...

(this should have been on pirate, so I could have given you a proper answer)

Hey knixon. - We value your input and don't be put off by Wayne's/Crushers bluntness and "freedom of expression".

My 2977cc B diesel is no doubt also viewed with disdain by heaps of my mates here on MUD but I love it and wouldn't swap it for many engines that my fellow mudders rave about.

:beer:

You visit Pirate? Why?

Last edited:
Hey knixon. - We value your input and don't be put off by Wayne's/Crushers bluntness and "freedom of expression".

My 2977cc B diesel is no doubt also viewed with disdain by heaps of my mates here on MUD but I love it and wouldn't swap it for many engines that my fellow mudders rave about.

he he, thanks. And I don`t get put off that easily:popcorn: I`m having a hard time not expressing my own mind... :hillbilly:

I had the 13B in my BJ40, loved that engine! :beer:

well, lets see i have warrantied 6 heads at $4000 a pop with upgrades. i have tried to convince others of the s*** engines but they would listen to individuals like you, buy one and then watch as they drop the coin to replace the head and then TRY and sell the truck for half of what they had invested.

After pulling the L engine out of my truck and importing a 2lt-e half cut. I listened to Wayne. I listened to others. I ignored the ones who said it would be a good swap. I put a petrol engine in the truck. I couldn't imagine going through a complete 2lt-e swap and then having the head s*** on me 50 miles up the road.

I haven't looked back since. I think the bad outweighs the good on the L series motors.

bk

I have a 3l in my LN106. It is great. Very reliable. I get on average 32 MPG, accurately. Mine has 237,750 Km on it, I personally have put on 40,000. Never a problem. No head issues, no cold start issues, it is a wimpy engine on the hills but you get used to it! I drive 105 km every where I go and I might have to downshift once or twice in a two hour drive. Amazing off road, Starts clean, doesn't burn very much oil. My oil even stays relatively transparent for the duration of my change cycle. I change the oil every 5000 Kms on the dot, grease it every two weeks. And change and flush the coolant every year. Overboard but I like to do maintenance. I am an AME....

I would recommend the 3L to anyone who is mechanically savvy, and like to work on their rig. Just don't flog it, give er time to warm up in the winter months, change the oil when its supposed to be. And do a diesel purge every six months.

I reckon my Lux will last a long time.

YouTube - danudasr20's Channel

My lux in action

Its not a question of believing, its a question of knowing. And of cause there is more threads about head issues than threads about engines who dont have them. This is just plain stupid!

And you get good mpg on these to! I got 25-30mpg on my truck, with 37s after I installed an intercooler.

Really...plain stupid, eh? Do you take it so personally when someone doesn't like an engine that you like? Why make it personal?

One MAJOR difference that I can see straight off the bat is that most of the 2L-T engines here are in Hiluxes and Surfs that have been imported under the 15 year old rule (Canada)...so right away we don't really have an accurate history of what went on during the first 15 years. In your part of the world, you could have bought them new and taken care of it...so that can go a long way in explaining the discrepancies in experiences...it's not apples to apples.

I'm going to withold a personal comment about you...but I wouldn't trade my 12H-T for two dozen of your 2L-T's...even if you do get 20+ MPG turning humongous tires. :flipoff2:

As a side issue - I have seldom seen such a useless and pathetic video. (Aren't we meant to notice it is being winched?)

well, i have to agree, that is one pathetic video...

You got what was promised - some smoke rather than steam. :grinpimp:

Why would you both expected more? :flipoff2: :beer:

I too would like to see the Evans coolant given a chance.

There is also the issue as to why these motors are blowing heads here and but not to the same degree elsewhere in the South. I had a long chat with one dealer, who like Wayne, was trying to get to the bottom of it. It was costing him big $ with the Prados heads he was paying for under warranty. Their theory is that we tend to drive these engines harder - expecting them to perform like a small block Chev. In many places in the South, there are few if any opportunities to try and run them up long grades at 110 km/hr. Most of their lives are spenty crawling along dirt tracks or windy roads. I saw quite a few Prados and Hiluxes in Ecuador running at 12,000' and at sea level. Not once did I see one broken down on the side of the road.

Would I buy one? Nope. But if someone wants to give me a Hilux or Prado to test out the Evans coolant idea, I can do a year's worth of driving throughout BC to compare it with my Nissan TD4.2. I'll even pay for the coolant. :D

Last edited:
I really have to disagree strongly with some this post - North American/repair shop experience here.

The L, 2L, 2LT and 2LTE are all problematic engines. The L and 2L are not as bad as the 2LT and 2LTE - but are still not worth the time and effort of transplanting into a vehicle if there are other options available.

The 2LT and 2LTE are garbage engines. Stay away from them.

The 3L (2.8 litre) is a pretty good engine, and seems to be lasting in most applications here.

Timing belt: a total disaster if it breaks - certainly as bad as having a head crack as far as cost goes.

~John
I didn't see anything in the post about wanting to transplant a 2.4 into another truck. I wouldn't swap one into anything. Too slow!
My comments were based on Oz Hiluxes.
Diesel hiluxes have been very reliable here.
High percentage of them used as hard work farm vehicles.

Oz must have got all the good yotas and the US got what was left.

Oz must have got all the good yotas and the US got what was left.

The Canadians got a lot of 2LT and 2LTE as grey imports from Japan that seemed to be dying at the rate of one a week on this forum a few years back.
The bad reputation that the Turbo model has is not deserved by the non turbo L engines.
Oz got a few turbo diesel Bundeera but nothing like the numbers sold in Japan.
I think Oz Toyota smelt a pile of crap and stuck with the 2L,3L and 5L only

This discussion comes up frequently here and on toyotadiesel.com. I think that one the reasons that people have such different views on the L family of engines, is simply in the care and condition of the engine. There is such a huge difference in the way that "car people" take care of their vehicles versus "non-car people". Little things like not reving the crap out of the engine when it's cold or shutting it down before the turbo can cool. To big things like routine maintainence.

Do you think that most people in Japan take care of these vehicles like you do when they know that they will get rid of it in 5-10 years? I don't. So a JDM 2lte with unknown history is impossible to compare to the 2lte that some on the forum have bought new in Europe or Oz and maintained for 15 years.

Canada must be a tough place for little Toyotas..:eek: Over here (in basically the same climate and kind of landscape) they work fine.. And it's not the first time this has been discussed on IH8mud involving a canadian or two claiming they are dritt:lol:

I would like to 2nd what Knixen said... 98% of all hiluxes, 70 seiries and Hiace's over here are L, 2L and 2Lt.. And they are known to be reliable engines.. And yes, I have also heard of several people that had their timingbelt snap, replaced it and kept driving like nothing happened...

I'm tempted to ask the jury about their expiriences with the 2,5 mitsubishi turbo diesel.. I guess they only last about an hour over there?

Everyone knows up here in Canada we have snow 9 months of the year and the mountain passes are as high as Mt Everest so yes it is a tough terrain as well we have to look out for polar bears and moose on the highways,and the igloos blend in with the snow so at night you don't want to hit one.:lol:

So a JDM 2lte with unknown history is impossible to compare to the 2lte that some on the forum have bought new in Europe or Oz and maintained for 15 years.

I have a friend here who brough his Surf with him from the UK and within 6 months the head gasket had gone on it. Damn Canadian mountains! :mad: Oh, and it just happened to be a freshly imported JDM one he'd bought off a dealer before leaving the UK. :D Seems to support the Euro experience.

Well I have done about 25000 Kms, In the Kananaskis and Canmore mountains. I have two friends that had heads crack and fail on their 2lte. I also have a friend with a 2lte prado which seems to be doing fine and has more Kms on it than mine. I really believe that it all depends on how the vehicle has been treated its whole life... Maintenance, driving style. Highway use, and not just short city trips...

All in all I tell my friends to buy either a 3L or get the newer 1kz engine.

Or buy a B dieseled 70 or 40(3B, 13B, 13BT)

Just my .02 Cents

Over here the 2L has a reputation for lasting okay and taking all day. They do crack heads occasionally as does the 3L but probably the same occurance as other IDI diesels.
The 2LT's, early 1KZ-TE's have the factory fitted head cracks. But because it's soo common it's a very cheap fix compared to a cracked head in other engines.

My experience 2lte and Prado, Loved every mile, I got mine from SHINGE,he warned me , In fact when I saw it he did not want to sell me the Prado, He said stick with what I was driving 1990W250 cummins with 800,000kms. I had to have it. Came from Japan with 3l head, gave me a 1 year warranty, I ran it up to 4000rpm all the time, I had an exellent experince with it, till it got stolen. I guess somebody thought they were doing me a favour . Thank you! Now I drive one of those dreadful BJ 74s with a 13B-T
Foooouey.

My experience 2lte and Prado, Loved every mile, I got mine from SHINGE,he warned me , In fact when I saw it he did not want to sell me the Prado, He said stick with what I was driving 1990W250 cummins with 800,000kms. I had to have it. Came from Japan with 3l head, gave me a 1 year warranty, I ran it up to 4000rpm all the time, I had an exellent experince with it, till it got stolen. I guess somebody thought they were doing me a favour . Thank you! Now I drive one of those dreadful BJ 74s with a 13B-T
Foooouey. The 2lte gets s***ty mileage, some days I might as well drive a Bluebird school bus with a 361 ford industrial gasser.

You visit Pirate? Why?

Whoa whoa whoa, whose disdaining the mighty B. Yes I'm upgrading mine but I love my little engine that "can". Yeah if the little man has to pull up a hill off of a flat he's hurtin but if I'm coming off a hill and got a running start going up the next one..look out baby I'm comin through!:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom