Hilux brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day

I've read about a mod where you put Hilux/4Runner brake calipers and a 80 series master cylinder onto the 60, giving you larger pistons in the calipers and a larger master cylinder to push the new calipers with. the modification seems like a good way to go in terms of improving the front brakes and is pretty much plug and play install.

On another forum I did hear someone grumbling about it, but I cannot see why anyone would?

Whats the thoughts on this mod in here?

Cheers!

When you look at the performance testing of the time, the 60/62 Series actually has pretty good braking performance - even by today's standards. The issue is that all of these trucks are now 30+ years old, and many have very degraded braking systems. If you renew everything - new calipers, new master, good pads, replace every hose, disassemble/clean the LSPV and properly adjust the rear drums - you will have good braking performance with a firm pedal feel.

Many people report feeling a "mushy, low" pedal when during the 4Runner caliper swap, which makes sense. That is because you're switching to larger diameter pistons, that require more fluid to do their thing. You get more force, but at the expense of more pedal travel.

When you look at the performance testing of the time, the 60/62 Series actually has pretty good braking performance - even by today's standards. The issue is that all of these trucks are now 30+ years old, and many have very degraded braking systems. If you renew everything - new calipers, new master, good pads, replace every hose, disassemble/clean the LSPV and properly adjust the rear drums - you will have good braking performance with a firm pedal feel.

Many people report feeling a "mushy, low" pedal when during the 4Runner caliper swap, which makes sense. That is because you're switching to larger diameter pistons, that require more fluid to do their thing. You get more force, but at the expense of more pedal travel.
This is my experience. Though, I haven’t driven a 60 with fresh OEM brake set up. I did install the 4 runner brake booster and the t-100 master cylinder as well as 4 runner calipers. I stop fine, even with a heavy load. But I replaced everything except the hard lines when I went through the brake system so the system is essentially new. If I let my brake fluid go black the brakes get squishy. Flush them out and it’s fine again. Certainly isn’t a new truck feel. Doubt it ever will be unless you do some serious mods including larger rotors and drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom