Hilux 3L Diesel Alternator not charging (external regulator) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At first I wasn't able to get my alternator to charge. While trouble shooting I found if I unbolted the voltage regulator then after starting the vehicle pulled out the charging fuse and reinsert it the alternator clicks on and the alternator and voltage regulator begins to charge. Once the vehicle has been charging for awhile you can restart the vehicle and the alternator will charge without remove and reinsert the charge fuse. However if the voltage regulator is bolted to the correct position the alternator no longer charges.

I replaced the charge fuse, voltage regulator, alternator, checked the grounds but still have the same problem. I'm not sure where to track the cause of the problem.

Any ideas. I have a video of the problem. The buzzer stays on until I remove the charge fuse. The moment I put it back and it just touches the alternator clicks on and begins to charge and all the warning lights and buzzer stay off.

Might have to verify wiring is not broken under the insulation, doing a infinite test while bending the wire might discover your faulty wire!
Good luck

@LN106 did you ever solve this issue? I haven't had this exact issue but have been chasing similar charging quirks so any insight into the system helps!

I haven't fixed it yet. I'm pretty certain, I replaced the alternator with an internally regulated one which is then running to an external voltage regulator and causing the issue. The replacement alternator was advertised as externally regulated but came with a green plug as opposed to black that was on the original.

Sometime soon I plan to bypass the external regulator and see what happens.

I bypassed the external regulator and it fixed the issue. The new alternator was internally regulated.

hey I am having a similar problem, I just bought and installed a new alt from australia, had a green plug.
The old alt had a bad rectifier the alt shop told me and the replacement part is no longer available.
How did you wire it up to make it work? I just got this JDM 89 hilux. Dont have the FSM, got any leads?

I clipped the wires on an old voltage regulator and matched them into pairs and plugged it back in. You can probably bypass the plug and do it more directy. Black to Red, Green to Yellow/Blue, and Blue to White.

I clipped the wires on an old voltage regulator and matched them into pairs and plugged it back in. You can probably bypass the plug and do it more directy. Black to Red, Green to Yellow/Blue, and Blue to White.
So both my old and new alts have internal regulators and the plus are the same shape and the wire go to the same place on the internal regulator. So it it should be plug and go in theory but reality is not co-operating. I'll glean what I can from the wiring shcematic you shared and hopefully something positive comes of it! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom