HiLift jack storage: talk to me (1 Viewer)

Where do you stow yr HiLift jack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Points for explaination of Where, How and Why, when answering poll.

This thread got me thinking: https://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/380539-hi-lift-jack-holder.html#post5507651

I currently stow mine behind the front seats in rear passenger footwell (Where), attached to seat mounts w/ bungee cord (How). Theftproof if the rig is locked, accessible from 2 sides, protected from the elements (and feet, courtesy of the vinyl cover), and won't impale me if I get into a wreck. (Why) Interfers w/ stowage of rear seat however, thought I'd see if ya'll have a better plan.

I don't run a rack full-time: costs a couple mpg and makes hella noise. Do put it on when I have things to carry other than the jack.

Thinking I'll pull the base off and stow it in the tailgate when the Rowlands storage panel goes in: hafta work on rattle and accessibility if the rig goes ass end into a ditch/tree.

Last edited:
if you take the foot plate off (use a large cotter pin to make it easily removable) the 48" jack will fit UNDER the rear seat. Then you can fold the seats down without moving it. I have a place to put it on my swing outs and I use a cable lock to secure it.

I have a custom rear bumper, that's where I have it mounted.

83BJ60_rear_angle-1.jpg

2mbb: think I heard before how that works, don't know why I'm so resistant to it. Maybe b/c I've used my jack more than I've had passengers.... dunno.

ROM: why is yr fuel can wearing a diaper? what is the mirror looking widget far forward of yr snorkel? is yr rear bumper reflective or just white?

^^^I'll say that the diaper is a recovery strap, and the mirror looking thing is...well a mirror.
For my Hi-lift, I carried it for a long time in the cargo area, strapped to the floor. I now carry it on my roof rack. The truck is a DD, but sees 90% in-town driving or slow-speed wheeling, so I feel the mpg deficit is negligible.

I put mine on the front ARB bull bar.. welded some tabs to it so it can be locked...

On top of the brush guard using conduit clamps. I keep the base (which is bolted to the larger plastic base that is offered) zip-tied under the driver's seat.

Always have extra zip ties around to put the base back under the seat.

Alan

One thing to consider when stored outside. Take the damn thing off occasionally and clean the tar out of it. Otherwise, it will be all sorts of rusted/gunked up when you need it.

i carry mine in the rear cargo area under the full size spare witch is held down by a ratchet strap connected to i bolts running through the floor. works well fairly easy to get to and quite. obviously i dont have a need for alot of storage inside.

2mbb: think I heard before how that works, don't know why I'm so resistant to it. Maybe b/c I've used my jack more than I've had passengers.... dunno.

All you have to do to get to it is flow the seat bottom forward. You can probably even wheel that way if you don't have passengers. You can secure the jack either to the floor or to the front legs of the rear seat bottom.

My bad: I do have passengers, the 4legged kind. One of which would drive if I let him. Stowage of dogs is another thread.

Yes, I've used an aftermarket: secure, long-term use deforms the headliner, pita to install/remove.

I do the same as Godwin. 48", rear seat, foot on, no problem.

A 48" Hi-Lift with the foot attached can be slid under the rear seat by going in from the passenger side. That's where I keep mine. Secure, out of the weather and easy to access.

pix please. Can't quite see it in my mind: rather see your version first, then pull out all the other stuff under the rear seat (hammock, jumper cables, potty bags, etc) and try it. :hillbilly:

A 48" Hi-Lift with the foot attached can be slid under the rear seat by going in from the passenger side. That's where I keep mine. Secure, out of the weather and easy to access.

Rear seat UP or folded down?

As for me...

I fold my rear seat down then attache the jack (foot on) on top of the back of the back seat using the lock bars as anchor points for bungee cords. I go solo or no more than one passenger.

Would like to have a rear bumper with fuel/tire/jack bracket$.
Would carry it on a rack if I had one of those..but I don't need one so that's out. I do run a yakima with a ski box attached, I think there are Jack attaching yakima deals out there..
hd

ya, got the quick fists for when I run my yakima w/sliders.

good catch on Godwins underseat: I'm trying the keep the rear seatback upright for daytime rear dog stowage. The larger dog likes to 'help' me drive, which doesn't, naturally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom