HiLift jack storage: talk to me (1 Viewer)

Where do you stow yr HiLift jack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FTW:

057.jpg

Pros: Quiet, out of the way, clean, easily accessible, simple fab.

Cons: Limited to 48" model, no one can see what a hardcore off-roader you are.

I have a custom rear bumper, that's where I have it mounted.

83BJ60_rear_angle-1.jpg
That looks a lot like Mr Scary Jack, where did you get it?

One thing to consider when stored outside. Take the damn thing off occasionally and clean the tar out of it. Otherwise, it will be all sorts of rusted/gunked up when you need it.
This a prime reason to keep at least the mechanism inside.

That looks a lot like Mr Scary Jack, where did you get it?

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a "Jack-all" jack from Canada. I have one of those and it's similar but not identical to a Hi-Lift.

Mine is outside. Sitting on the driveway, rusting. Been there for several years now. I carry a floor jack with a skid plate under it instead.

In the 60 series they fit perfectly under the rear seat

Quick and easy - I have my snatch rope there as well

img_3110.jpg

good ideas... I like the hard mounts people have come up with. I think for now...I too will keep mine under the rear seat. I need to get one of those "tube adapters" that lets you pick up on the sliders or other tube type mount cleanly.

Mine is outside. Sitting on the driveway, rusting. Been there for several years now. I carry a floor jack with a skid plate under it instead.

Not trying to hijack the thread (nice pun, huh?), but I don't own a high lift jack. I saw ntsqd's floor jack skid plate thread from a few years ago, and I bought an el cheapo floor jack, which I store in a box in the cargo area. I been meaning to cut out a fatso thick plywood "sled" base for it. A floor jack is easier to store and easier to use. Also, I buy into the theory that a floor jack would be more effective than a hi-lift at getting a truck unstuck. So far, though, I have not had a chance to put my theory to the test.

I like the pics. You guys have some nice jack storage ideas.

:)

When a highlift is needed, it really is needed. Floor jacks are not as versiatle, or dangerous...

Yeah, I'm not so sure that a floor jack is as good at getting unstuck as a Hi-Lift could be, but it is a far superior tire changing/working under the truck in the field (w/ rocks etc. supports) jack. IME I've yet to wish for a Hi-Lift's unique capabilities, but I have wished for a floor jack on a number of occasions. Hence my switch.

Inside the truck out of the weather for me.

I never thought of under the back seat in my 60, but that looks like the spot now.:idea:

In my old 55 i made a mount just below the back side window that held it parallel to the bottom of the window with the top of the jack going over the wheel well.

:cheers:

Yeah, I'm not so sure that a floor jack is as good at getting unstuck as a Hi-Lift could be, but it is a far superior tire changing/working under the truck in the field (w/ rocks etc. supports) jack. IME I've yet to wish for a Hi-Lift's unique capabilities, but I have wished for a floor jack on a number of occasions. Hence my switch.

High lift is not a changing tire jack. And you are absolutely correct. The problem is that when you need a high lift, you are typicaly in a really bad and unstable position..

I realy like the new race jacks that they have out there. The problem is that there is no good place to stow them on a 60..

pickle.sized.jpg

I liked mine on the roof rack while it was up there I'm going to mount it on the ABR for now since I removed the rack

here is how I mounted mine
roswell 010.jpg
roswell 007.jpg

Like this...good idea.

FTW:

057.jpg

Pros: Quiet, out of the way, clean, easily accessible, simple fab.

Cons: Limited to 48" model, no one can see what a hardcore off-roader you are.

Thanks, I should note I designed by bumpers to be used in conjunction with the 48" lift as a tire changing jack.

exactly the photo I've been seeking, with the prior photo showing the stowage.:beer:

Goodbye hammock (not used since 02) hello HiLift. :clap:

So it just lays in below and secured by the seat? :doh: why didn't I think of that myself?

Rear seat UP or folded down?

Just noticed this.

Seat bottom down, seat back up, IOW in regular position for someone to sit on. To get the jack under the seat I angle it in, wiggle it a bit, and slide it on under, with the lifting portion of the jack is pointed forward.

I just cannot see carrying a floor jack in my truck, or car for that matter. To lift properly a floor jack depends on the ability of the wheels to roll as you lift a load. They belong in the garage. I cannot think of a single time I have ever been in the field with a flat where a floor jack would be effective changing a tire.
Even on the side of the highway a bottle jack, a screw jack, or even a scissor jack would be better in most cases for changing a tire, IMHO.

BTW there have been a few times I wished I had a bottle jack in my truck in addition to my Hi-lift. They are very handy and useful for many applications.

It's never been an issue and it's never even threatened to try to pull the axle off of the jack. The horizontal distance that the jack needs to move is pretty small. I guess if you tore the sidewall out of a 37"+ tire and were sitting with the rim directly on the ground then the lateral dislocation might become an issue, but it has never been an issue with up to a 33" tire. Could be that the ground pressure is low enough that the base can slide on the ground? Dunno, haven't paid that close attention. Just checked as it's going up that the axle is staying on the pad and not worried about it further.

FWIW I have not stopped carrying the OE bottle jack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom