Events/Trails HIH9 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Black Bear opened officially yesterday. Today....well, T4R rollover at the top of the steps.

68972131_10157573017948988_2209530888746696704_n.jpg

68992804_10157573017893988_304716887290281984_n.jpg

lucky it stopped there. My initial thought is that in that well equipped car it must be driver error, but who knows.

lucky it stopped there. My initial thought is that in that well equipped car it must be driver error, but who knows.

I'm inclined to agree with you on driver error. It's a current generation T4R and, judging the TRD wheels, a TRD Trail Edition (not PRO). It's VERY "greasy" up there evidently and there is a ton of runoff. Steps might have gotten a little deeper.

@geanes any more details or link to whatever group they're with? Out of curiosity.

Not sure. Looks like there was another T4R (maroon) in the group along with a bunch of Jeeps. It popped up on FB about 20 minutes ago.

That is not good for business....... @paflytyer

That section is kind of a mind "challenge". You want to stay right, but the wall and you have a shiny truck, so you inadvertantly misalign on the left...also there is a known "slide" that occurs around there that feels odd and could have taken the driver by surprise.

Too bad to see this happen.

Man same spot as the FJ from a few years back. Bummer

EDIT: Kidding looks like this FJ rolled before the steps.

Also it appears the 4Runner is in reverse??

When do tickets go on sale for next year, because I gotta go to this!

Opinion needed....

Since I'm seeing recent posts on trail status, can I get brief advice on trails to avoid (black bear is already on that list).

Wife & myself: stock(ish) 2004 Lc, newly installed 2" trail Taylor suspension, non decrypt at tires. Gear for 10 days (same crap as 1 nighters except little more food/water). Mapping/Inreach/nav/bear spray covered. Have good experience. Flying solo.

Want to avoid the last/hardest joe public 10% of risk.

Timing: second week sept for 10 days.

Wow. Time flies. A little late for a trip report but had a few pics I wanted to share. We had such great time. I still haven't washed the CO dirt off my rig. We rounded out the drive from Bozeman with a trip to Mesa Verde National Park, and Cowabunga Water Park in Salt Lake. Both exceptional in their own right.

Also wanted to throw out a big thanks to all the volunteer Trail Leaders. They were an awesome bunch of folks, who love driving and who were great at keeping us in line, taught us local history, educated us about native plants and such, and hopped out first when a spot was needed. Really appreciate all that.

Met a lot of groovy people that week. Hope to see you again next year and make some more new friends (who love Hundys).

IMG_9708.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9902.jpg

Opinion needed....

Since I'm seeing recent posts on trail status, can I get brief advice on trails to avoid (black bear is already on that list).

Wife & myself: stock(ish) 2004 Lc, newly installed 2" trail Taylor suspension, non decrypt at tires. Gear for 10 days (same crap as 1 nighters except little more food/water). Mapping/Inreach/nav/bear spray covered. Have good experience. Flying solo.

The wall at Poughkeepsie is probably the only obstacle you shouldn't attempt as you lack some armor that most say is a must-have for that obstacle. Otherwise, the vehicle will do fine on just about everything else in the area.

Opinion needed....

Great time of the year to be here. Aspens will be changing over to yellow but not quite peak colors when you arrive. By the time you leave the area, Silverton should be peaking. Silverton to Ironton seem to peak a little earlier than Ridgway, Telluride and MV. We spend a lot of time in that area during that time of year. Best trails for mild wheeling but incredible views for those 10 days..

Owl Creek Pass
Last Dollar Road
Ophir
West Dallas Creek (Ralph Lauren Ranch)
Stony Pass

All mild routes with incredible views and scenery. Bring a camera.

DSC_1089

DSC_1074 - Copy

WHO WANTS TO PLAY HIH FANTASY FOOTBALL? Fanduel or ESPN standard.

You gurus come through again 🍺

Poughkeepsie Gulch: did not appear on my research radar (that I remember). Lucky the route I mapped out doesn't hit it.

Appreciate the trail tips....now back to the books/maps for potential modification based on ideas above.

I'll keep this thread appraised.

BTW: armor, I did have enough sense to install WK sliders (as my 60 how it/I know).

Some additional info on the Black bear Pass rollover. Sounds like the roof rack and tent may have saved the car from a more dramatic roll/drop over the cliff. Great pics in this posting.

From facebook (GXOR, Chris White):

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
This seems to be holding some interest so here is an AAR on the Black Bear Pass roll-over.
Kinda long but...
info is good I think.
How it happened-
The driver had some, but not a lot of, experience with CO pass/4x4 driving and was on a solo trip. He was in a lightly modified 2015 TRD PRO 4RUNNER. Stock suspension, 285 70 17 tires. No other true performance type mods observed. Tepui tent mounted on SSO rack. Not normally considered “performance parts” but.... I’ll get there later. Driver recalls feeling the inside line was safer considering the water and light mud on the bedrock trail surface. There is still snow at the entrance to the stairs. He described rolling over a stair with his front left tire dropping and having his steering wheel jerk to the right. The right side climbed as the left dropped in what I would describe (without seeing it) as a slowish roll to the driver’s side then the stopping (fortunately) on the top. The driver ***was assisted by a person from a vehicle that came upon the accident. The drivers seat belt was cut so he could crawl out*** without any major injuries we are aware of.
A passerby called the accident in. A SAR member with an EMT who both work in the area responded in a Razor and checked the driver for injuries then gave him a ride down to the top of Bridal Veil where he was transferred to a paramedic and ultimately the Telluride Med Center.
I went up to assess the scene and help make arrangements for the “tow”. There was some evidence on the vehicle and the rocks of what the driver described to me after he was released from the Telluride Med Center. It looked like he hooked the front passenger tire on the mountain side rock wall and had good traction, good enough to climb and roll. The interesting part in my mind was that he stopped rolling. I’m giving credit to the tent and rack landing on a random rock that happened to be on the side of the road. The combination of those three things was enough to balance the Toyota on the edge of the cliff. As it sat I’m fairly sure if any of those thee would have been gone he would have gone over the edge. Also the gear was tough enough that it didn’t crush or come apart, much, and likely saved a life or at least kept the driver and dog from serious injury. If any of the designers or manufacturers of those two items are in town look me up I’ll by the first round. I appreciate not scraping another person off the mountain, Thank You.
The recovery-
Credit here goes to my friends Stuart (Telluride Towing and Telluride Tire) and Nico le frog. Stuart grew up here, is a very accomplished off road driver and the best tow operator in the area. Nico didn’t grow up here 🐸😜 and is one of the best industrial riggers on the western slope, also a SAR volunteer. We are fortunate to have folks like them around. There were not enough good anchors to hold a vehicle pushing ***4800#*** or more with gear. So Nico drilled holes for 1” bolts to be placed. One behind and two above and to the side. The holes are slightly larger than the bolt which is inserted deep with the threads to create more friction. When done the bolts are easily removed. He then attached 2000# come-alongs to each. The one in the back was to keep the Toyota from going down farther and to pivot it. The other two were to roll the Toyota back on its wheels.
Pre drive prep-
Once on it’s wheels. The brakes were bled, for power assisted brakes turn on the ignition (not engine) to activate the pump 🤔. The tire that rolled off the bead as it came back over was inflated. Then after about 24 hours turtled it fired right up, just a little smoke. Gotta love a Toyota engine! We kept it tethered for a bit to give the breaks a function check while slowly moving down the steps about a vehicle length. Then just drove it down.
Do you know what the name of the game is?
Don’t **** up!
-Jim Murphy
My takeaways- FYI I’m not judging anyone here.
When ever possible go with a friend, if unsure use a spotter. Someone who hopefully has a bit of knowledge helps too.
Take it slow and be ready to stop.
Research you route, maps and info are fun.
Get out and scout your line.
Know your abilities and the capability of your equipment. They may not match.
Buy good solid parts, your life and the lives of your passengers depend on them.
Stay in your lane, or at least close enough to get back in it without dire consequences.
The SSO rack has been moved to the short list.
And in Colorado get a COSAR card it might save you some money when you do **** up.
https://www.colorado.gov/…/colorado-outdoor-recreation-sear…
Happy Trails!
***edit for incorrect information ***x2 sorry.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...lgrdvxymYzlw2-NDDS9e_3XqgxnaC9EOK4G6h6sS7ryGb

"Driver recalls feeling the inside line was safer considering the water and light mud on the bedrock trail surface. There is still snow at the entrance to the stairs. He described rolling over a stair with his front left tire dropping and having his steering wheel jerk to the right. The right side climbed as the left dropped in what I would describe (without seeing it) as a slowish roll to the driver’s side then the stopping (fortunately) on the top. "

Exactly what I was thinking happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom