Highway speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, here is my delima. I have a 75 TLC with a chevy 350 mated to the stock Toyota transmission and transfer case that is not my daily driver. I primarily drive on the interstate to work so I'm looking at getting a car in place of my GMC truck. I also do a lot of hunting, so I would like to keep a vehicle that I could drive to hunting trips, but the top speed of the LC is about 55 mph at 2600 rpms. I know that they weren't built for speed, but going 55 on the highway is dangerous when everyone else is going 70. I guess what I'm asking is should I look into a transmission swap, run it at 3500 rpms, or look at a different vehicle to take hunting. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

zglad

Many of us drive our 'Cruisers on the highway. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Let-er-rip!

Robert LaDuke said:
Put some 33x9.5's on 'er and go.

Those tires are evil.

Get an overdrive tranny, or larger tires with 3.70 diff gears. The tranny swap (either auto, nv4500, or H55F) will be the best of both worlds as far as on and off the highway.

ridgerunner said:
Those tires are evil.

Get an overdrive tranny, or larger tires with 3.70 diff gears. The tranny swap (either auto, nv4500, or H55F) will be the best of both worlds as far as on and off the highway.

Why are they evil? I'm looking for just that to run on my stock steelies.

Ed

Degnol said:
Why are they evil? I'm looking for just that to run on my stock steelies.

Ed

I'm thinkin' "evil" is good, Ed.

i have a 76 40 with 350 toy 4sp and t/c and 35 12.50's and do just fine on the freeway. i went to cruiser days in canada in august (121 miles each way) and did 85 mph for a good chunk of it with no problems and still had enough power to go faster but didnt want to push it anymore then i was. i dont have a tach installed yet so dont know what RPM i was at but it felt and sounded good. but that is also without hard top on so not as top heavy. and if its to loud just put in a good sound system and crank her up thats what i do (2 amps and sub) no problem.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm running 32X11.50's now. Maybe I should just unhook my tach? Seriously, should I not be worried about cruising at 3500 rpm in a pushrod V-8? I've got a 2" shackle lift now, what do I need to run anything larger?

iv got 33's with a 2f, weber 38 carb, header i do 75 on the free way all the time at like 3300 rpm's so dont worry dude!

I'm putting 250 hwy miles a week on my 68 with F, 3spd, 4.11s, and 33x10.50 boggers. I cruise about 60-65 because mine's older than most and my only form of transportation. At those speeds, I've got plenty of pedal left to go faster if needed.

If my little F can do it, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

zglad said:
Seriously, should I not be worried about cruising at 3500 rpm in a pushrod V-8?

That engine should be able to take 4000 rpm all day long with your only concern being when your next fuel stop is going to be.

a v-8 should not have a prob doing 3500 rpms, yes its hella loud and you think shes gonna blow, but shes just fine, i do about 60-65 comfortably 80 if i want to die but she humms along nicely. whats fun is you can watch the gas gauge slowly move towards empty. i love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom