Highway driving etiquette (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock the H55F had 4.11:1 diff gears. Not sure a H42 with stock 3.70:1 would have that much higher RPM on the highway.

It WILL lower your rpms and if you don't like the sound of your engine at 3000 rpms while trying to maintain 65 mph, a 5 speed can put you at 65-68 mph at a comfortable 2500 rpms and you can get to 70 mph and still be well below 3000 rpms. This with 31" tires on 15 inch wheels and 3.70 rear gearing. Why is 3000 rpms a big deal? I know the engine can run like that all day ...i just don't like hearing it. Sounds like she's cranked out of the frame loud.

I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you it will be fine because that just might not be true. Atlanta sucks. The traffic sucks. Being from Atlanta I can honestly tell you you will be hard pressed to find anyone here that is actually from here. I know no one in my immediate social circle who is. People from all over hell and creation bring their bad driving habits here. Throw in a corrupt beyond belief city government, a healthy and thriving illegal immigrant population, permanent road construction and depending on where you live, 2 hour commutes.
I drive my cruiser twice a week and never on the freeway. You will get run over I don't care how big your cruiser is. Sure you can get around but it's not easy cruising. People expect to go 0-50 no matter what lane you are in. Sure, they will go around you too and cut back over so dangerously close that you will be standing on those AWESOME Landcruiser brakes once or twice a day.
You'll get used to it. You will also get a routine down that will make your driving experience better. You asked about 285 specifically and honestly the traffic is usually staning still, at least 4 hours a day so. Another highway to avoid at all costs is GA400.
Sorry I can't paint a rosy picture for you, but traffic wise this place sucks.

I could have sworn you were talking about Atlanta, but you just perfectly described Charlotte, NC.

1571261792114.png

Still my favorite.

Tell your wife this is why you NEEEEEEEEEED an H55F five speed. (for safety sake) And with her new income I'm sure she could help you out!
In definitely laying the groundwork to work that angle!

I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you it will be fine because that just might not be true. Atlanta sucks. The traffic sucks. Being from Atlanta I can honestly tell you you will be hard pressed to find anyone here that is actually from here. I know no one in my immediate social circle who is. People from all over hell and creation bring their bad driving habits here. Throw in a corrupt beyond belief city government, a healthy and thriving illegal immigrant population, permanent road construction and depending on where you live, 2 hour commutes.
I drive my cruiser twice a week and never on the freeway. You will get run over I don't care how big your cruiser is. Sure you can get around but it's not easy cruising. People expect to go 0-50 no matter what lane you are in. Sure, they will go around you too and cut back over so dangerously close that you will be standing on those AWESOME Landcruiser brakes once or twice a day.
You'll get used to it. You will also get a routine down that will make your driving experience better. You asked about 285 specifically and honestly the traffic is usually staning still, at least 4 hours a day so. Another highway to avoid at all costs is GA400.
Sorry I can't paint a rosy picture for you, but traffic wise this place sucks.
I appreciate the honest reply. My wife is from Miami, so she's accustomed to the pitfalls of Atlanta traffic and poor driving habits, as well as all the other challenges you mentioned. I'm from the cornfields of Ohio, so I'm going to have to make some adjustments. Hopefully the 10 years I spent in China helps. I didn't drive there, but had to learn how to deal with, ummm... some of the local customs. Hopefully the people of Atlanta are a little easier to deal with.

Highway driving etiquette

Is almost non-existent.

It's a shame. Driving like you had an IQ of 70 or better ought to literally be a no brainer.

And that says a lot about our fellow citizens.

My wife just got a job with Cartoon Network, which means I'll be moving to Atlanta. I daily drive my FJ60, but I'm driving on country roads in Ohio. I rarely have anyone behind me to slow up. My question is how many upset drivers will I have behind me on 285 in Atlanta? Do any of you guys drive on busy highways? Should I make a witty sign for my back window explaining I'm at top speed? The previous owner put on a few NRA and Gadsen flag stickers which I left on. They seem to prevent other motorists from expressing their displeasure with me. I welcome any advice or suggestions for clever window sign messages. Cheers.

I’ve got a desmogged 2F and an H55F with 3.70 gears in my 60.

I drive it almost daily in Houston. I can keep speed at 70-85 with ease. Takes some planning, but it is not a road obstruction by any means.

you’ll be fine if the truck is tuned up as much as you can get it.

I drove I-285 on a daily commute for many years (FJ60). Don't worry about speed, Atlanta traffic at rush hour(s) is usually a crawl. Install a good sound system and listen to some tunes. You'll have plenty of time on your hands. Welcome to Georgia.

SimS

... You asked about 285 specifically and honestly the traffic is usually staning still, at least 4 hours a day so. Another highway to avoid at all costs is GA400.

I was going to chime in that the last time I went through Atlanta, the traffic was horrible and what you needed is a vehicle that can go from a standstill to 30 mph and back to a stop very rapidly, and do so repeatedly. The only palce I driven in the last few years that is as bad is I-4 in Orlando.

Trust me, you won't be going very fast on any interstate in the Atlanta Metro area between 6 am and 7-8 pm.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom