Highest front end "lift" with OEM components? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
How high can the OEM torsion be REASONABLY set/cranked given factory components and geometry?

New (extra) 99 purchased and I swear it sits markedly lower than stock. No plans in lifting other than replacing rear springs to assist with some towing, so will gain a bit back in the rear I guess. But what's my upper reasonable limit up front?

With at least 60 mm of droop, you probably can get to 21"ish, which will end up "about" 2" higher than stock. At least that's my experience.

On my “99 LC, I have TBs turned as far as it will turn. That basically levels it with rear. If I were to get new springs or30 mm spacers how would I then get the front up another 30 mm or so?

You would re-index the bars to get more ride height adjustment out of them. However, that is assuming all other conditions are appropriate for that (remaining droop, F-R rake, accessory weight).

I would like to get it level but 2-3” higher and then get 18” wheels.

You don't really want these trucks level. Because of the IFS, they need a little bit of rake to keep the steering working properly. Too high and you'll feel like you have no steering control like a top fuel car during acceleration. There's also terrible torque steer and you're much more likely to trigger the traction aids in simple sweeping turns. Scary as hell when the truck decides to grab the brakes for you because the suspension geometry is so out of whack.

You don't really want these trucks level. Because of the IFS, they need a little bit of rake to keep the steering working properly. Too high and you'll feel like you have no steering control like a top fuel car during acceleration. There's also terrible torque steer and you're much more likely to trigger the traction aids in simple sweeping turns. Scary as hell when the truck decides to grab the brakes for you because the suspension geometry is so out of whack.
Rake reduces caster though, so how does that work? This never made sense to me.

Hell if I know, I'm not an alignment expert. I can only speak from my own experience which has been consistent in 2 different lifted 100s. Just 1/2" in the front makes a huge difference in handling and steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom