High steer, slee vs hellfire, Hydro assist. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your set up is one of the cleanest I have seen on a 80 ;)
That being said the cross over set up like Booger's the one that you point out is what I envision when I mentally dissect other set ups.

Thanks bud, and likewise! Here's another picture that might be helpful with regards to 'true high-steer'. As you'll notice during full turn/full stuff, the tierod comes very close to the pitman arm. Now you can imagine what would happen if you had the tierod mounted on top of the steering arm. You'd lose quite a bit of uptravel in order to make it work. On my setup I'll use the full travel from a 14" coilover.

17047697996_0f2eb809f4_h.jpg

Last edited:
To make room for the lower links of a three Link, I can see no other advantage!! JMHO
I keep bending tie rods due to contact with the radius arms, so there's that.

Thanks bud, and likewise! Here's another picture that might be helpful with regards to 'true high-steer'. As you'll notice during full turn/full stuff, the tierod comes very close to the pitman arm. Now you can imagine what would happen if you had the tierod mounted on top of the steering arm. You'd lose quite a bit of uptravel in order to make it work. On my setup I'll use the full travel from a 14" coilover.

17047697996_0f2eb809f4_h.jpg

I had the same issue on my LX470, a RHD pitman arm helped save about 1" of uptravel.

A couple of things from earlier -

Ackerman angle has been corrected on the newest generation of hellfire knuckles, it looks pretty close for a 110 WB from what my eyeballs can tell.

I have both the slee and hellfire setups. Nothing wrong with slee, but the hellfire is not much more and you get a ton of benefits. Wider stud spacing, more studs, more mounting options, a much stronger and adjustable pin (no more shims), new trunion bearings and stronger knuckles. I am running the drag link over the top and tie rod under with a 9.5 diamond housing and offset TRE's on my lx470. had to notch the frame for drag link clearance, but it was worth it to keep the axle side of the panhard as high as possible.

The slee arms are not really high steer arms, they are only supposed to be run double shear and are best with the drag link mounted under the arm. For me, I already had a RHD arm laying around and just want to get the tie rod away from the radius arms, so they work. You end up with 7 studs total with the slee arm mounted double shear, but the vast majority of the stress is on the 3 studs of the upper arm. The best part about their design is that they are a machined fit, so the ABS bung acts like a dowel. Not sure how they will hold up, but I don't have any worries. I am also using ARP studs. By the time you factor in 14 of those and slee arms, you are within $100 of hellfires with the cool guy discount.

If hellfire knuckles were keyed, they would by far be the ultimate. Brian's setup is awesome, and I may have gone that route if it were available when I ordered my housing. Keyed arms take all of the torsional force off of the steering studs and put it directly into the knuckle. If any of you have run mini truck stuff, you probably know that pain...

FDD5A430-416C-41A3-99DC-CC2AFC7C95D9.jpeg

578BB538-A8CC-469F-A56A-E71CEBEDDC8C.jpeg

Okay, i have all my parts. Im starting on this tonight and hoping to get pictures of the entire project. Once its all done and working well ill post all the pictures and a basic how-to at least with the slee arm route.

Very loose how-to

1..Drill pitman arm hole, both front holes of lower steering arms(rhd arm already installed on leftside knuckle) to 5/8”.

2..Install slee arms on top of knuckle with studs and cone washers, same as on bottom of knuckes. (I dropped the dowel in, i did not weld it to knuckle as slee instructs, fits snuggly.)

3.. install heims, eye ball and measure alignment. Measure for tie rod length and drag link length.

4.. weld, paint, install.

4D9CF668-CC73-4E5E-B719-266CCF654A5D.jpeg
541D417A-746C-454F-9F43-2E4825C3F801.jpeg
F2011AE7-4F8D-49A4-82A6-C04DB4BC2EC7.jpeg
5A62E6E0-7670-4ED9-B32F-62F15CAC71FB.jpeg
AF4474F6-4BBC-450D-AA4C-704AEA41CDC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently no stabilizer, and some clearance issues with panhard bracket, even moving the tie rod lower between knuckles. Its pretty minimal but its there, ill keep working on it until its right. I will have to make a new panhard anyway, so those issues will probably be resolved then.

Currently no stabilizer, and some clearance issues with panhard bracket, even moving the tie rod lower between knuckles. Its pretty minimal but its there, ill keep working on it until its right. I will have to make a new panhard anyway, so those issues will probably be resolved then.
you're going to raise the axle end of that panhard, right? :)

The way it's set up now you're going to have bump steer ! But I sure you know that 🤷‍♂️
Besides that looks good ;)

Last edited:
Yeah i know, going to work on that panhard next, gotta get some brackets and other parts.

i havent driven much at all with this steering, cant really drive the truck right now, my rear 4 link bushings are toast, one of them no longer exists and the truck feels deadly as the rear axle move all over when braking. I have the solution sitting on my toolbox, but thatll be in my build thread, trying to keep this thread steering related.

Is Hydro assist on your to-do list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom