High steer, slee vs hellfire, Hydro assist. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered slee high steer arms. Ill try to do a decent write up and take plenty of pictures when i get to doing it.

If anyone has hydro assist info/picture/opinions post that too, might as well make this thread all things upgraded steering.

@Wermz

Two more examples I found recently, neither of which are ideal IMO.

tDY2Vx8h.jpg

This one has a frame-side drop, seems a little screwy

oo8qJ1qh.jpg

@Wermz

Two more examples I found recently, neither of which are ideal IMO.

tDY2Vx8h.jpg

This one has a frame-side drop, seems a little screwy

oo8qJ1qh.jpg
Frist Picture is of my good friend Mike's Aka Shoppy Rig It's a sweet LS swapped 80. I was just at his shop last Saturday he was prepping for the Rubithon and he had just installed the new Slinky springs you see in the Picture.
We actually disgust the tie bar drag link set up he running.
What I know from talking to him in the past ( He his been running the Hellfires for five years now ) is that it really difficult to package everything ,especially if you plan to keep the factory coil mounts.
If you look at the picture you can see the Panhard is quite a bit shorter then the OEM set up. the Axle side is a modified Ruffstuff Bracket the frame side is a costom piece he made.
Like others have said, unless you go to coil-overs it's very difficult to Package high steer on a 80.
IMHO the Hellfire & front range knuckles are geared more for 80 series axle swaps into other Rigs or full on custom three link with coil overs on a 80.
Again IMHO at least in the second picture he has true High steer, in all the other post I see here, there front steer but not really high steer and the tie bar is only slightly higher and way more exposed then the OEM set up. 🤷‍♂️ ;) Cheers

the second picture he has true High steer, in all the other post I see here, there front steer but not really high steer and the tie bar is only slightly higher and way more exposed then the OEM set up. 🤷‍♂️ ;) Cheers

Second picture is actual high steer, i agree 100%. Im going for front steer to make room for the eventual 3 link. Idk if true high steer is “needed” on an 80, depends on your trails really.

I had thought about putting the tie rod just under the slee arms and putting the drag link on top of the slee arm, making it higher than front steer, lets call it mild high. I figure with hydro assist it would probably be just fine in that single sheer configuration(drag link only).

i have my ruffstuff steering kit and my slee arms sitting on my toolbox right now, ill play with configs as i get going on this project. I just finished my lift, and im welding in the @eimkeith rear panhard brackets when they arrive. Steering will get going after thats all done.

Yeah i bolt the arm on the knuckles and tack weld from the inside. The bungs is almost a press fit on to the ABS hole. I think couple tack welds should be ok

Again IMHO at least in the second picture he has true High steer, in all the other post I see here, there front steer but not really high steer and the tie bar is only slightly higher and way more exposed then the OEM set up. 🤷‍♂️ ;) Cheers

Yeah it's quite difficult to mount both the draglink and panhard on top of the steering arm, typically you see this in leaf sprung rigs. That 80 is also super tall with Ironman 6" springs which are more like 8" springs. There's no way it would have worked on mine without putting bends in the draglink/panhard and notching the frame. And given my panhard mounting, I was not able to use the inner holes on the Hellfire arm due to interference.

I should have wait a little bit and go with the front range knuckles
By the time you add up all the parts needed with the Slee arms the front Range knuckles start to look real good.

And here's some pictures of my setup for reference.

As mentioned, due to the 4WU panhard mounting, the inner holes of the Hellfire arms are not usable:

ruzSLLoh.jpg

Therefore I'm running a y-link steering setup using the outer holes:

a3WqMooh.jpg

Qtx2LWWh.jpg

Y-link steering really sucks so I've been wanting to change it crossover steering, having the draglink mount on top of the Hellfire arm, tierod below it. However given my relatively low ride height, this will most likely involve putting some bends in the draglink and perhaps notching the passenger side frame to clear the draglink during flex. I may even have to redo my axle panhard mount depending on the final height & angle of the revised draglink. This is more work than I care to tackle at the moment which is why I've just left it as-is.

What I'm going for is a steering setup similar to Booger's old rig:

image-jpg.941152

image-jpg.931369

I was just about to ask the same question, you beat me to it

As for right now, i only drove on the local street. It's doesnt feel safe pass 40. Still need to relocate the panhard bracket on the axle and the frame. I already have the 4wdunderground 3 link kit and trailgrear hydro kit. I still need the coilovers. I digging a pretty deep hole right now.

Second picture is actual high steer, i agree 100%. Im going for front steer to make room for the eventual 3 link. Idk if true high steer is “needed” on an 80, depends on your trails really.

I had thought about putting the tie rod just under the slee arms and putting the drag link on top of the slee arm, making it higher than front steer, lets call it mild high. I figure with hydro assist it would probably be just fine in that single sheer configuration(drag link only).

i have my ruffstuff steering kit and my slee arms sitting on my toolbox right now, ill play with configs as i get going on this project. I just finished my lift, and im welding in the @eimkeith rear panhard brackets when they arrive. Steering will get going after thats all done.
Based on the bash marks on my front Diff cover armor and the fact the I have bent My drag link in the past. If you run the Sierra mountain trails High steer is beneficial.

Where is the advantage in moving the tie rod to the forward side of the axle?

And here's some pictures of my setup for reference.

As mentioned, due to the 4WU panhard mounting, the inner holes of the Hellfire arms are not usable:

ruzSLLoh.jpg

Therefore I'm running a y-link steering setup using the outer holes:

a3WqMooh.jpg

Qtx2LWWh.jpg

Y-link steering really sucks so I've been wanting to change it crossover steering, having the draglink mount on top of the Hellfire arm, tierod below it. However given my relatively low ride height, this will most likely involve putting some bends in the draglink and perhaps notching the passenger side frame to clear the draglink during flex. I may even have to redo my axle panhard mount depending on the final height & angle of the revised draglink. This is more work than I care to tackle at the moment which is why I've just left it as-is.

What I'm going for is a steering setup similar to Booger's old rig:

image-jpg.941152

image-jpg.931369
Your set up is one of the cleanest I have seen on a 80 ;)
That being said the cross over set up like Booger's the one that you point out is what I envision when I mentally dissect other set ups.

Where is the advantage in moving the tie rod to the forward side of the axle?
To make room for the lower links of a three Link, I can see no other advantage!! JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom