High roof 60 series roof rack question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a roof rack on my high roof HJ60, basically just feet with 2 sturdy bars. These should be strong enough to carry a roof top tent. I have problems finding gutter mounts that are high enough to clear the roof.
any advice would be appreciated.

thanks, Jan

The rack on mine is pretty tall. It's a Thule model 1050, and with the standard roof there's at least six inches of room between them and the top of the roof. I'm not sure what the load capacity is, but the weak point seems to be the rain gutter rather than the feet or bars.

The Yakima racks are available with extensions, I think in 2" increments. My buddy has one with 6" extensions, high enough to clear the domed roof of his 66' Beetle. I have also seen a Thule with long mounts to clear the safari roof on the LR Discovery.

Hodag

Spector has some 6" tall rack mounts. Quick 'n Easy has these that are a little taller yet. You might be able to put spacers between the yoke and the cross bar to get more height. I'd consider more than two cross bars to distribute the weight a little better.

I had the same problem, in the end just got the local steel fabricators to weld up one for me, cheaper than anything I could find commercially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom