High Rock Canyon N. Nevada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
We set the dates and meet locations and times last night for the High Rock Canyon trip.

The trip will be an overnighter on April 29 & 30.
The plan this year is to drive in from the Soldier Meadows side to the hot springs, set up camp, then explore the canyon.

The roads to the camp location are suitable for almost any vehicle. The trail through the canyon can be negotiated by any stock 4X4 truck and most SUV's. Last year we had a mostly stock FJ60, a fully stock 4Runner, and a full size GMC long bed extended cab PU. We all made the whole trail with no trouble.

What to expect:
Be prepared. This a remote area, while the trail is fairly mild there are no services any where nearby. Make sure your rig is in good repair and that you have a good spare. Bring the usual extra fluids, tools and recovery equipment for your vehicle.

Expect some Nevada pin stripping as sections of the trail are pretty brushy.

Be prepared for a few water crossings. These are shallow with rocky/gravel bottoms. Some sections of the trail will be very muddy.

Bring your photography equipment. This is one of the most scenic areas of Nevada.

Bring your Audubon's field guides and field glasses. Last year we spotted everything from Big Horn Sheep to Antelope. There are also many wild flowers, and birds.

Bring a swim suit, the hot springs are great!

There are two meet locations and times.
Some of us will be meeting at the Albertsons in Spanish Springs and caravaning through the Smoke Creek Desert to the second meet location. Our leave time will be 7:00 am sharp. If you need to get last minute supplies or gas please show up early enough to be ready no later than 7:00.

The second meet location will be at Brunos in Gerlach. Meet time is 9:00 am with a leave time of 9:30 am.

Driving directions to meet locations:
Brunos from Reno; East on I80 31 miles to the Wadsworth exit. North on SR447 72 miles to Gerlach. Brunos is on the right side of the main street, Gerlach is a small town you won't have any trouble finding Brunos. If you do just ask anybody for directions.

The Albertsons in Spanish Springs from Reno; North on Pyramid Highway (SR445) 8.5 miles to 9750 Pyramid Lake Hwy. The store is on the left just past Partei Vally Road.

Notes:
Brunos has the best food for 50 miles in any direction, mostly because it is the only restaurant for 50 miles in any direction.

Fuel is available in Gerlach, however if you are coming in on SR447 from Reno Empire offers lower prices. Empire is located about three miles south of Gerlach.

According to a report from alia176 both SR447 and Smoke Creek Desert roads are in very good shape.

I've put this date on my calender and plan meeting you guys in gerlach at Brunos. I'm Looking foward to this trip, since I have never been to soldier meadows. I need some new chukar hunt spots. Anyways let me know if I can bring anything when the date gets closer. Josh

jmkfj60 said:
I've put this date on my calender and plan meeting you guys in gerlach at Brunos. I'm Looking foward to this trip, since I have never been to soldier meadows. I need some new chukar hunt spots. Anyways let me know if I can bring anything when the date gets closer. Josh

There are no Chukar there. They have been irradicated by the Nevada Department of Fish and Game. Or wait...I got that mixed up. The NDFG planted special frequency emitting leg bands on all Chukar in that area to only fly for Nevada residents :grinpimp:

spressomon said:
There are no Chukar there. They have been irradicated by the Nevada Department of Fish and Game. Or wait...I got that mixed up. The NDFG planted special frequency emitting leg bands on all Chukar in that area to only fly for Nevada residents :grinpimp:

Would it make you feel better if I let come over to cali and shoot at the chukars that escaped from nevada with there leg bands.

I'd love to go. I'll have to see as the time comes closer. That'd be real fun. Sorry I couldn't be there at the meeting. It seemed like there were the most people there in a long time. I know where the meet spots are. Do we take tents or just kick it in the cruiser? So there's nothing real challenging? are the trails big enough for the lifted 60? How far is the drive to the trail? Sorry so many questions, I guess that's what this forum is for.:D

No Problem with the questions.

Most of us bring tents on overnight runs. The weather is kind of iffy at that time of year so we could get some rain.

Last year I drove my full size GMC, and I plan to do it again this year. Your 60 will have no trouble.

As I recall from Brunos to where we plan to camp is about 50 or 60 miles on mostly good gravel roads with a few miles of paved road at the start.

From base camp to the Canyon is a couple of miles on good gravel road. The trail is only a few miles long but there is a lot to see.

so travel time till we get there is roughly 3hours? Cool I'm really thinking of going. I over heard someone saying something about some guys from california coming is that stiil gonna happen? How many people should be there? I'm really thinking of being there. I have already mentioned it to my wife hinting that I'll be gone then. Thanks for the info. I'm 80% in

I'm not sure about the CA group. A couple of guys with NorCal Cruisers mentioned they wanted to go before we set dates.
We're never sure how many people will go until we leave the meet location.;p

Your Wife is welcome to come along. I'm 80% sure mine will be going, and I think a few other Wives/GF's will be along.

While at the March Meeting, I believe that we were discussing power steering systems to buy. (Saginaw Setup) What setup comes with the power assist? (The hydro ram) I just know that one of you guys knows where to get it.

Thanks Again

High Rock Canyon N. Nevada POSTPONED

I just got off the phone with the BLM.
High Rock is closed until sometime in May.
The opening date is undetermined at this time.

Well that really sucks, but with the wet weather I can't say that I blame them. Well May might be a hard month for me to make the trip, but I'm still looking at going. I hope to be at the April meeting. see ya guys then.

Bummer

I called the Winnemuca BLM field office today. Much more helpfull people than the regional office in CA. According to Dave the canyon will be open the second weekend in May. He is also sending me some maps. I think it is the same map I paid $4 for a couple of weeks ago in Empire. :rolleyes:

Looks like the weather is going to be great for the trip. 80's in the day and 50's at night.

Getting stoked!

I'll see ya guys in gerlach tommorro morning. Can't wait for today to be over. josh

Trip report.

Half of us met up at the Spanish springs Albertsons at 7:00. We joined the rest of the group at Brunos around 9:30. The only FJ40 in the group had a problem with his electric fan (fresh V8 conversion) we by passed the relay and got them back on the road by 10:30 'ish. I think we were in the canyon around 11:30, stopped at Post Office Cave for lunch, then headed on up canyon. At the second water crossing Twrecks decided he didn't want to punish his stock 4Runner any more. My wife was a little uncomfortable, still game though, but since somebody else was heading out we decided to go to. As we were turning around I heard a loud POP from the front end. I figured out my front axel wasn't getting power on the way out. We all made to back down to the hot springs area with no problems. We staked out a nice camp spot with plenty of room for all six rigs and set up camp. Not to long after the group that had continued up canyon showed up. We all hung out for a while enjoying a cold beverage of choice and dinner. Then some of us went for a soak in the hot springs. During the night we got some rain. The next day after breakfast and breaking camp half the rigs headed off in different directions home and the rest of us checked out the Soldier Meadows Ranch B&B. I think rustic is a good description of the accommodations there. Then it was on up to Summit lake for lunch. At nearly 5000' it was noticeably cooler than tin the valley. We ate lunch then started back. Along the way we stopped and gathered a few Apache Tears from the road side. By then the storm clouds were getting pretty black so we blasted back to Empire for a quick fuel stop ($3.49 for regular) then everyone went their separate ways.

It was a great trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom