High pitched whistle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a high pitched whistle on hard acceleration or up hills under load, I would suspect a cracked vacuum hose but can't find anything, not the sort of thing you can make make the noise when engine is not under load, is there a specific tube that normally fails?

ps I dont have a turbo :)

Lots of folks on here have attributed a similar sound to their exhaust. Perhaps that is your culprit as well.:meh:

x2, American spec 80s have a pronounced whistle from the exhaust when accelerating. Unless the UK 80s are different, you are probably hearing the same noise.:cheers:

It's only just started making the noise, and definitely sounds like a vacuum leak, does the exhaust whistle stop if you remove the muffler?

Any of the locals who have changed mufflers have lost the whistle, so presumably, its in the muffler. I would try driving with the windows down or have someone listen while you drive by before taking anything apart. If you have a vacuum leak that is loud enough to hear from the driver's seat, it should be obvious if you open the hood and accelerate the engine.

It's only just started making the noise, and definitely sounds like a vacuum leak, does the exhaust whistle stop if you remove the muffler?

We are talking about a gasoline powered 80, right?

BTW - the gas powerd 80 had both a muffler and a resonator, just to be clear.

yes it's a gas/petrol powered engine, I would have thought if it was the muffler I would have had the noise all the time I have had the car, I have had the car 5 years or does the muffler whistle start at 150k

yes it's a gas/petrol powered engine, I would have thought if it was the muffler I would have had the noise all the time I have had the car, I have had the car 5 years or does the muffler whistle start at 150k

No, the only reason I brought up exhaust or muffler is because I've heard that is where the source of the whistling that you describe comes from. Is it possible that you have a new hole in your exhaust or muffler that is allowing more noise (or whistle) to escape?

Check the other threads on this I believe some have posted that the noise is still there even with a different exhaust system. My son has a 96 same mileage as mine and his does not whistle at all.

If you replaced your fan belts recently make sure they are OEM toyota without the rib texture. The rib texture in combination with a bad alternator pully made an awfull whistling type noise before I replaced them.

I removed the resonator as well, and it makes the whistling much louder. It was there prior to that too though, but wonder if a flomaster or different muffler might make it better.

It does sound odd that even after some guys have replaced parts on the exhaust system, the whistling is still there, over the weekend I am going to place a sound recorder under the bonnet/hood and also under the car near the end of the exhaust and see what I can get.

80's make a sweet whistle under hard acceleration, "Made in Japan secret squirrel whistle"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom