High pitched squealing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...around 3K RPM but when I shift up it goes away. Is this a belt tension issue? I checked the tension and they all seem good, when I push my finger down on them they only move about 1/2"-3/4". Could this possibly be a clutch issue? I read something on here about throw out bearings? The belts seem in good condition as well.

Appreciate any insight.

Throw out bearing would squeal only when you push the pedal down.

Your squeal is from one of the belts. The question is what's causing it. They could be old/worn? Could be one of the accessories is starting to sieze up (smog pump for example). Spray water on one of the belts and see if the noise goes away, if yes, you know where to start looking. If no, spray the other one.

Is your AC on when this happens?? I have been getting a high pitch noise when my AC is on.

Just my personal experience, but I had a similar squeal for a few years until one day the water pump bearing blew. Replaced with new pump and bearing and squeal is gone. Might want to keep an eye out for a bad bearing in the new future.

Is your AC on when this happens?? I have been getting a high pitch noise when my AC is on.

No, I don't use the AC very often. I need to get the part to convert it to r134a... need to look that up on here.

Just my personal experience, but I had a similar squeal for a few years until one day the water pump bearing blew. Replaced with new pump and bearing and squeal is gone. Might want to keep an eye out for a bad bearing in the new future.

Interesting, thank you. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks for the replies!

Might want to check the little AC tension pulley/bearing. When that little thing starts to go, it can get noisy. It's always spinning even if you don't use the AC.

Temporarily remove the AC belt to rule it (and the AC bearing) out.

I'm also having a 3000rpm squeal, but mine gets warm after the squeal starts. I replaced the smog pump with an idler and I don't have an ac compressor. I'm assuming it's the water pump, so that gets replaced next.

Soooo... this might have only happened to me due to my ineptitude but... I was chasing a similar squeal at pretty much the same RPM. 2.7-3.0K. Swapped out both belts. Fixed for a month then back again. Checked and double checked tension. Still squealing. My A/C doesn't work (and isn't hooked up) so that wasn't the problem.

Finally swapped the fan clutch and problem solved. I only tried it first because a) it was cheap/easy and b) a buddy of mine had a similar issue on his 4-Runner. It seemed to pass the "spin with your hand to see if it's seized" test but in hindsight, it's not like I have spun a lot of these to have that calibrated of a hand. Or maybe it was partially seized. Whatever was wrong with it, it probably caused too much of a load operating at high engine speed hence the belt squeal.

Who knows but it is fixed now. Added proof that it was the culprit is the significant reduction in noise on the freeway at higher (>2K) RPMs. It's almost like the fan clutch works and properly disconnects when it isn't needed. Again, chalk it up to my inexperience and the lack of a reference point to what the truck "should" sound like on the hwy.

Welcome to MUD, btw!

I concur, could be a failing accessory or pulley bearing. Easy to check, just loosen up the belts, slide them off, and test rotation of each pulley with your hands. A seizing smog pump is pretty obvious, you'll feel grit/lumps/inconsistent rotation.

Soooo... this might have only happened to me due to my ineptitude but... I was chasing a similar squeal at pretty much the same RPM. 2.7-3.0K. Swapped out both belts. Fixed for a month then back again. Checked and double checked tension. Still squealing. My A/C doesn't work (and isn't hooked up) so that wasn't the problem.

Finally swapped the fan clutch and problem solved. I only tried it first because a) it was cheap/easy and b) a buddy of mine had a similar issue on his 4-Runner. It seemed to pass the "spin with your hand to see if it's seized" test but in hindsight, it's not like I have spun a lot of these to have that calibrated of a hand. Or maybe it was partially seized. Whatever was wrong with it, it probably caused too much of a load operating at high engine speed hence the belt squeal.

Who knows but it is fixed now. Added proof that it was the culprit is the significant reduction in noise on the freeway at higher (>2K) RPMs. It's almost like the fan clutch works and properly disconnects when it isn't needed. Again, chalk it up to my inexperience and the lack of a reference point to what the truck "should" sound like on the hwy.

Good call, needs to be replaced anyway. I was looking on a few parts sites, but there are blue and red ones. Does it matter which or will both fit in a 60?

Welcome to MUD, btw!

I concur, could be a failing accessory or pulley bearing. Easy to check, just loosen up the belts, slide them off, and test rotation of each pulley with your hands. A seizing smog pump is pretty obvious, you'll feel grit/lumps/inconsistent rotation.

Thanks, I'll test that as well. Appreciate everyone's input!!

I'll make a build thread eventually.

I just ordered the pump, fan clutch and gasket from rock auto. Unfortunately the gasket is gonna ship a week behind the hard parts....

I've used gasket material and FIPG on several water pumps w/o issue. NAPA sells an sticky back version that works great. Cut to fit...

Same exact thing on my 60, FC had only 20k on it, but locked up to much and too long. Made belt slip at same rpms, 1, 2, 3rd. Oh and yeah...it's super quite now and much zippier, milage up 1mph. Also does not feel like something is holding it back when coasting in gear. FC was not locked up, just locking/unlocking correctly.

I replaced the OEM Toy FC with an Aisin from amazon.

Drove me nuts because the FC was not very old.

Oddly, I'd say it cools better than before, temp seems to stay much more even.

Last edited:
Yes, always. IME they are as good as Mitsuboshi OEM, but 1/2 the price. The other cheap parts store brands (goodyear or whatever they are now, Driverite, etc) don't hold up as well as OEM.

Yes, always. IME they are as good as Mitsuboshi OEM, but 1/2 the price. The other cheap parts store brands (goodyear or whatever they are now, Driverite, etc) don't hold up as well as OEM.

Thank you! Really appreciate your help and all the previous posters as well. Thank you!!

toyota belts have gotten spendy, I still use them though, I know they are going to fit and get the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom