high pitched hum in fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At highway speeds(60-75mph) I have a loud high pitched "hum". The sound drowns out around 80mph, and continues when accelerator is depressed. LTX Mich tires are in OK shape. Figuring its the wheel bearing(s), could it be other,i.e. driveline play, centerbearing?? I have the usual 80s thud upon accelerating, etc.etc. approx. 130k miles but well kept!
Any suggestions to look for before pulling the wheel apart and replacing bearings.

Thanks
chris

Usual 80s thud on acceleration???? I don't have that. Am I missing something? Could that be a motor mount?

The hum might be wheel bearings. When did you last service front end (assuming it's coming from front)? Does the sound change/disappear if turning left or right on a curve?

Tom

Thud meaning driveline play, i.e. letting off accelerator around 25-30 mph and/or slight thud after letting off brake at stop.
Well I dont dare to turn at high speeds in the LC, but it is loud at 65+. Other than that it drives fine, other than typical "thudding" - worn diff. I have not serviced the front end and have a good feeling it wasnet done before I purchased it. My guess its the wheel bearings, planning on doing ths anyway but hoping for someone to offer pinpoint answer.

chris

Chris,

>> approx. 130k miles <<
>> I have not serviced the front end and have a good feeling <<
>> it wasnet done before I purchased it. <<

Do it soon or your good feeling will quickly turn to a bad feeling.

-B-

My guess its the wheel bearings, planning on doing ths anyway but hoping for someone to offer pinpoint answer.

chris

You're the only one that can do that. Pull the hubs and take a look at the bearings. That would be my first move.

Thanks forthe input so far. Out at lunch today I tried to zero in on the noise, at lower speeds 15-25mph its sounds more like a winding noise from the front. Not sure if this is contibuting to the louder hum at higher speeds.
If bearings are it I will replace the rear too, not sure if its floating or semi floating rear axel. Its a later year 94 w/ rear drum brakes, how to find out??
Thanks

Drums in the rear = semi-floating axle, no ABS.

Its a later year 94 w/ rear drum brakes, how to find out??

That's interesting, I thought 93 and newer (US) models were all full floaters with rear discs and ABS, except for a few early 93's that still had rear semifloater and drums. My 93 has full floater, rear discs and ABS. Seems like your 94 may be an anomoly?

Ben,

Strickly speaking the FFA and ABS were optional in both 93 and 94. They did not become standard equipment until the 95 model year.(in the US anyway). There were a few 93-94 vehicles that snuck through without ABS and FFA if the people at TMS fell asleep at the stick when they were checking the little order boxes. I have seen one 93 that did not have it. That one came from Texas where the distributor for Toyota is an independent. I have also seen a couple from that direction with no sunroofs and a couple without 3rd seats.

Dan

I have the same hum. I replaced all bearings and birfields and diff bearings. I have new T-case, u-joints and the only think I have yet to do is the rear axle bearing and diff. When I had the front driveshaft off, there was no hum. I think it is the vib of the driveshafts sending power back and forth to the rear and front. Hay at least have a theory 8)
I also have the thump when i second gear (at slower speeds) and ,let off the throttle, it thumps into first. I played with the throttle cable with no luck
:'(
kurt

Sometimes you can get a high pitched whine out of the passenger seat..... Oh, wait. That's something else............................... ::)

C-Dan,
You're right! I always get a whine from the passenger side that's something else - the refrigerator. ::)
Bill

Bill, I believe you ment to say "high priced wine" 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom