high pitch whining in my drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it's been down so long i don't remember if it was there before. i just installed my orion and hardtop(hardtop may be the reason i can hear the whining now) and there is a high pitch whining at high speeds. i can hear it in fourth and fifth gears and the pitch changes with speed, not with the shifting of gears. it sounds like it could be a bearing, but my trans was just rebuilt and the orion came with all new bearings. could this be breakin noise? also, i don't have a shifter boot, so it would not be as strong if i had one.

any ideas?????

mine is also making a little noise.

A buddy said to drain the fluid from both your tranny and xfer case.
Examine the fluid from each separately...the one w/metal deposits is likely the noise maker.

hope this helps.

Hi All:

Are you using the correct gear oil in each gearbox? The NV4500 requires some special GM lube oil, while AA supplies a specific type of synthetic oil for the Orion t-case.

What shape are the u-joints on the rear drive shaft in? Are they "newer" or original pieces?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

brand new rear driveshaft and the tranny shop put the oil in the trans. i put 90 weight in my orion b/c that's what they told me on the phone-even though the instructions say something else.

by the way-the orion is brand new this is the first i have run it-about 100 miles on it so far.

if your noise is speed-related, than it is more likely the front /rear diff or t-case. is the noise load sensitive?
my guess would be rear pinion bearing.
i have also heard that the orions tend to be louder than the stock t-case?
try changeing the oil in the t-case for synthetic?
drive with ear plugs? (my PO's solution, 8 months w/out oil in th t-case.
good luck, carl

the noise is load sensitive. what does that tell me? the rearend has all new bearings and it sure sounds like it's coming from either the tranny or tcase. i also heard that orions were supposed to be more quiet. go figure. anyway, i refuse to wear earplugs, cuz i got almost all my road noise knocked out except for this. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom