High pinion Inner Bearing race, Tricks, clues what have you??

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
GOLD Star
I got everything set, bearings pinion, new ring. But the large Race that goes inside the housing itself. Its offset and sucks. Ive heated up race to 300 and still no love. Any ideas??

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Trying to seat it? Use a bearing race driver or equivalent sized aluminum/brass disk and hit it square and true. Alternatively use a press.

This is basic mechanic crap. Same stuff you'd run into on any differential

RFB

GOLD Star
Trying to seat it? Use a bearing race driver or equivalent sized aluminum/brass disk and hit it square and true. Alternatively use a press.

This is basic mechanic crap. Same stuff you'd run into on any differential
Yea Im hip, Ive tried both Im going to use the old race with a race driver. my drivers only go to 81mm and the depth of race and position worries me. I tried press and Not having a ton of luck. housing in in freezer right now race is in oven. no Im not married. or cleaning my birfs in dishwasher would have been a real prob.

ajax1

Yup we use to throw the races in the freezer overnight when I worked cruisers.
Liquid nitrogen is what we use on jets if you can get some

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star

I’ve never had a problem pressing them in using the old race. But looking at your picture above it looks like you’re missing your oil storage ring (oil retainer). It would go in before the race to slow the oil from draining out of the smaller pinion bearing.
B026FBF4-A587-45BB-B3E3-2250C352E355.jpeg

Yup we use to throw the races in the freezer overnight when I worked cruisers.
Liquid nitrogen is what we use on jets if you can get some

We used to do that on 570 gas turbine engines. Dry ice works well too.

RFB

GOLD Star
Its all done, seems like ya'all would know by now I type much faster than I think, high pinion is done new pinion, new ring all new bearing and races everywhere. shes good.

RFB

GOLD Star
I’ve never had a problem pressing them in using the old race. But looking at your picture above it looks like you’re missing your oil storage ring (oil retainer). It would go in before the race to slow the oil from draining out of the smaller pinion bearing.
View attachment 2088323
I found that in master kit right before I finally got it pressed in, good call.

RFB

GOLD Star
Basic mechanic crap, Indeed. Problem is Im not nor was I ever a mechanic doing both diffs at same time got a little hectic yet they are all done. so thats a win. bear in mind never even owned metric tools till 2 1/2 years ago. and the only issues Ive ever had with truck was when I paid a tech to work on it.

Top Bottom