High pinion FJ80 third member in a FJ60? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am still in the planning phase of my 60 build and I am leaning toward more of an expedition build. From what I have read, the high pinion FJ80 front third member is interchangeable with all 8" housings. I am pretty doubtful on this, but will the high pinion FJ80 third member fit in an FJ60 front housing? Thanks for the input.

The 80 series front diff does not fit into either ft or rr axle on a 60. Front diff on an 80 is smaller diameter. 60's have interchangable diffs (as do 40's, 55's).

You are correct, the FJ80 diff will exchange with any 8 inch diff. Unfortunatley you dont have an 8 in diff.

Thanks. That confirms what I thought. Is it worth finding an FJ80 front axle to get the HP. I have heard conflicting info one which is stronger, the 60 or the 80 front. Seems like the 60 has the stronger ring and pinion, but the 80 will give more clearance and better front driveshaft angle.

Th FJ80 front axle is a strange beast indeed. It has bigger Birfields, but a smaller gear set which is reverse cut making it stronger going forwards, weaker going backwards. This has always scared me. In the event I'm backing up something with the resultant weight transfer, I don't want a reverse cut gear set in the front. What's ever more odd about that FJ80 front is the steering. It comes off the bottom of the knuckle and the upper bearing cap is secured with only two bolts making it unsuitable for steering arms in my opinion even if you could buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom