High-output alternator for HDJ: Anyone tried this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
They say it's good for 110 amp.

Do any of you have experience trying it or hearing about it?

Although it is not listed, it "should" work on HDJ80/81, as well. No?

Another one for 120?

This one says 120 amp.

It doesn't matter if it's 110 or 120 or 150, I'm looking for a reliable unit which would produce more juice than the stock unit.

I've bought a couple different ebay specials for a couple different projects. I had to build a simple adjuster, as the case was a little bigger than stock. pretty sure it was this brand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2575298d1d&vxp=mtr

Make sure you upgrade the alternator output wire. Run a direct wire to your battery; otherwise you will melt the stock harness (ask me how I know). I used something almost as big as battery cable.

There is a new 140 amp alternator for 1HZ and 1HDT . http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-TOYO...s&fits=Model:Land+Cruiser&hash=item33782f6031
He is in Kalgoorlie so he is probably supplying mining and allied industries up there.
3 year warranty:cool:

Ive had a couple of aftermarket alternators and they have all lasted 4-6 years before I sold the vehicle.
The 120 amp alternator I bought had a card saying it had been tested to 137 amps at 3000rpm

I've bought a couple different ebay specials for a couple different projects. I had to build a simple adjuster, as the case was a little bigger than stock. pretty sure it was this brand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2575298d1d&vxp=mtr

Make sure you upgrade the alternator output wire. Run a direct wire to your battery; otherwise you will melt the stock harness (ask me how I know). I used something almost as big as battery cable.
The link is for the FZJ/1FZ-FE, but I'm guessing they make one for the HDJ, as well.

I'm finding out that I'm a -:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: man. So, modifying the wire might be a bit tricky. :doh:

There is a new 150 amp alternator for 1HZ and 1HDT .
Ive had a couple of aftermarket alternators and they have all lasted 4-6 years before I sold the vehicle.
The 120 amp alternator I bought had a card saying it had been tested to 137 amps at 3000rpm
Links??? :hmm:

T.I.A., Rosco!

I got a high output 1991 Trecel Alt for my HDJ81 fits great and is really cheap. I only had to change the pully from the old one. I also ran a cheap 10$ trecel one for a few months with no problems, I keep it as a spare now.
I was going to post on your other thread that I thought it was your Alt, and try a cheap 1991 Trecel one from a junk yard.
I will search my old threads and see if I did a write-up for this.
Mike

I forgot about the different plug. I emailed the seller and asked for an oval plug and dual pulley... Which I guess is same as a tercel or a sequoia.

meafordmike said:
I got a high output 1991 Trecel Alt for my HDJ81 fits great and is really cheap. I only had to change the pully from the old one. I also ran a cheap 10$ trecel one for a few months with no problems, I keep it as a spare now.
I was going to post on your other thread that I thought it was your Alt, and try a cheap 1991 Trecel one from a junk yard.
I will search my old threads and see if I did a write-up for this.
Mike

Thanks for chiming in, Mike!

Somehow it sounds contradictory to see the words "high-output" and "Tercel" in the same sentence, but I've come across such a reference more than once already in my relatively short search.

Btw, does it have to be from '91 or is it OK as long as it's from the same model years/era?

It would be great if you did a write-up, but no biggie if you didn't.

Thanks again!

Mot

gifu said:
I forgot about the different plug. I emailed the seller and asked for an oval plug and dual pulley... Which I guess is same as a tercel or a sequoia.

I'll have to keep that in mind if I get a new one/aftermarket.

Thanks!

I had alternator issues this past summer with symptoms similar to the ones you identified in your other thread. I ended up getting mine rebuilt as it was not the stock alternator but, what I believe was, the Tercel alternator. It was a Toyota part and showed it rated for 110A on the label.

If it had been the stock one I would have looked for a higher rated one as you are doing now. I wrote the part # down at the time, but I don't know where I put it...if I find it I'll let you know.

Cheers,

What's the stock hdj alternator rated for?

I should bump mine up one day. I've noticed that when I have my ARB fridge running, and then fire up my puma compressor, the fridge warning light stars flashing. Not a big deal really as the compressor is only running for the 10 minutes or so to do tires.

HDJ81 Alternator

I just had mine rebuilt locally (ATI) with some uprated bits and pieces. On their bench it put out 130 amps, but I haven't driven it enough to convince myself of that. When I get home I can post part numbers if you like.

Thanks for chiming in, Mike!

Somehow it sounds contradictory to see the words "high-output" and "Tercel" in the same sentence, but I've come across such a reference more than once already in my relatively short search.

Btw, does it have to be from '91 or is it OK as long as it's from the same model years/era?

It would be great if you did a write-up, but no biggie if you didn't.

Thanks again!

Mot

I checked and apparently didn't do a write up:doh:sorry. But is was a 120- or 140 amp 1991 tercel alt, and the stock HDJ81 only came with a 60-80 amp depending on options (I think I read that in the FSM) The Tercel fit in place perfectly and was plug and play except for having to change the pully over.
I must admit I didn't believe that it would fit, so I got a 15-20$ one from a junk yard first to test. And once all my charging problems were fixed I then ordered the High output one for like 120$ +shipping. I still have the junk yard one as a spare and would lend it if you live close by. I moved to New Brunswick this past summer, and haven't figured out how to change my location yet.
Mike

I had alternator issues this past summer with symptoms similar to the ones you identified in your other thread. I ended up getting mine rebuilt as it was not the stock alternator but, what I believe was, the Tercel alternator. It was a Toyota part and showed it rated for 110A on the label.

If it had been the stock one I would have looked for a higher rated one as you are doing now. I wrote the part # down at the time, but I don't know where I put it...if I find it I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Thanks for the input and I would appreciate it if you found it and let me know the PN! (If not, that's no biggie!)

I just had mine rebuilt locally (ATI) with some uprated bits and pieces. On their bench it put out 130 amps, but I haven't driven it enough to convince myself of that. When I get home I can post part numbers if you like.
That would be cool to be able to have it produce that much juice! (Not that I have that much need, besides the Engel.

I checked and apparently didn't do a write up:doh:sorry. But is was a 120- or 140 amp 1991 tercel alt, and the stock HDJ81 only came with a 60-80 amp depending on options (I think I read that in the FSM) The Tercel fit in place perfectly and was plug and play except for having to change the pully over.
I must admit I didn't believe that it would fit, so I got a 15-20$ one from a junk yard first to test. And once all my charging problems were fixed I then ordered the High output one for like 120$ +shipping. I still have the junk yard one as a spare and would lend it if you live close by. I moved to New Brunswick this past summer, and haven't figured out how to change my location yet.
Mike
That is A-OK, Mike!

I'll have to hit CDan for the '91 unit.

Is it very involving to change the pulley???

What about one of these?

http://www.m2kinc.com/product-1hd-fte-38-41-2.html

Few guys on LCOOL have fitted them with good results.
They look and sound cool, but sounds almost too good to be true!

How much are they? :hillbilly:

Chances are, I would be fine with 110+amp of the '91 Tercel for $120-plus-ish...

Any part number available for the Tercel "High Output" alternator to order? I checked all 1991 Tercel model variations on Toyota EPC and it shows them rated at only 60-70 Amps.

I read a few threads about the Tercel alternator upgrade and there is not a single mention of what type, model, Part number...

Interesting...

Maybe the '91 Tercel unit is easy to upgrade to produce 110 amps or something???

I'm sure there's a logical explanation to this though... Right? :D

Last edited:
i read online that this unit is made in usa. Anyone know by whom? Might be a much better price to get direct from usa.....just saying.

Maybe ,but at $256 its damned cheap for something made in the US.
Denso have a number a plants dotted throughout SE Asia and my guess is that it would becoming from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom