high oil presure, where do other LX's run on the guage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the 99 LX I am looking at apears to have high oil presure at least on the guage. It runs much higher then my 2000, sometimes right at the top, but normaly just one slash(3/4) from the top, never below the middle.

Where do other LX's run?

Now my 2000 LC never gets to more than 3/4 and when idling sits down more towards the middle to 1/4 from bottom. Other 100's I have looked at seem to do the same as my 2000.

Sender?
gauge?
actaull problem?
Just the way it reads on LX's ?

if it truely for some reason had high oil presure I would think the computer would throw a code and set off the check light? no codes and runs like a champ.

My gut feeling is the sender is just off......as the range of the guage is the same as my 2000.....but just in a different spot on the guage........hmmm I wonder if that its.....?

The sender is gunky/greasy and that is the only place on the LX that isn't spotless...except for the boot for the rack and pinion which is almost under the sender, which might explain what I thought might be a leaking rack.....hmmm?

John

I just checked my 99 LX470. When cold it was sitting between just above the the 1/2 mark and the 3/4 mark but closer to the 1/2 mark.

The oil viscosity plays a big part in oil pressure. Sellers will sometimes dump in 50 wt oil to compensate for low oil pressure caused by worn bearings and journals.

Ditto...check the dipstick to see what the oil looks like. My '99LC, with 5W30 Amsoil idles at or just below the lowest mark on the guage and as the RPMs increase goes up to between the middle and next to the highest mark. This, according to my manual, is normal.

5-30 is what it shows has been used. filter is Toyota. So I don't think its the oil

On my LX it stays between 3/4 and 1/2, usually being slightly closer to 3/4. When idling or under load it stays within that range. Just ran over 14,000mi on my last interval and even that oil was within the 3/4 - 1/2 range.

With the line up of vehicles you currently own, why would you want a 99 LX, just go out and buy a new one to make the list look more in order!

quite a few reason really. I can write a check for the 99, we don't put that many miles on any on rig, so new doesn't make alot of sense, I don't want the NAV stuff in new ones..........and I am cheap ;)

100 TD said:
With the line up of vehicles you currently own, why would you want a 99 LX, just go out and buy a new one to make the list look more in order!

my best buddy who is an actaull mechanic says that even if the oil presure is high......thats just fine and nothing to worry about. He also suspects its just the sender and to swap it out next time I am doing an oil change.

So depending on the seeing the rest of the records from lexus today......its prolly a go :)

FYI: I just replaced the Amsoil oil filter (SDF57) with a new Mobil 1 oil filter (M1-102):

With Amsoil filter: When idling the oil pressure needle was at or slightly below the lowest mark on the guage (1/4 mark). When cruising the guage came up to the 1/2+ mark...somewhere typically between the 1/2 and 3/4 marks.

With Mobil 1 filter: When idling and cruising the needle is at or slightly below the 1/2 mark on the oil pressure guage.

Maybe the Mobil 1, since they claim it filters down to 20 microns, is filtering better...thus creating more pressure (but only at idle)?

Just an FYI...

High oil pressure could be caused by clogged oil passage, faulty pressure regulator or just faulty pressure sensor. The pressure sensor are not calibrated. Its is possible the reading are a bit off due to faulty/worn pressure sensor. Change the pressure sensor first before spending a lot of money. The part are pretty cheap and easy to change on most engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom