High Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am rather new to the forum and have been lurking for several weeks. I am looking to move from a 2014 Tundra to a 200LC. I found one local that is a 2019 but has over 90k miles on it. Would the experts steer clear or not worry? Am I better off looking for a 2016-2018 with lower miles to stay in my price range? Thanks ahead for your advice.

LX/LC aren't really high mileage until you hit 250-300k miles.

There's a sticky post at the top of the forum for things you should look for. Punch the VIN into the Toyota Owner's site to see the history as well.

LX/LC aren't really high mileage until you hit 250-300k miles.

There's a sticky post at the top of the forum for things you should look for. Punch the VIN into the Toyota Owner's site to see the history as well.
Thanks Linuxgod. I know the mileage is not high for a LC. I was wondering if I should shy away seeing over 90k was put on the vehicle in just 3years?

As long as you are paying for a 90k mileage vehicle, and not the same price as a 40-50k. I'd look at it as an advantage. 30k/yr almost has to be mostly highway mileage. As long as it wasn't a rental or something.

As long as you are paying for a 90k mileage vehicle, and not the same price as a 40-50k. I'd look at it as an advantage. 30k/yr almost has to be mostly highway mileage. As long as it wasn't a rental or something.
^This. 30k miles highway is probably the same or less wear than the 12-13k I drive per year

This. It can be a big advantage specially if driven like that from day 1. This is how my LX came off lease. Highway queen.
I would rather take more highway miles anyday myself.

As long as maintenance checks out and oil was taken care of its not a bad idea.
If you are going to put little miles on it you will eventually equal out for any potential resale purposes.

What everyone else said. If the maintenance was kept up I’d consider it an advantage.

Watch out for highway issues though. Dings in paint on front edges of body panels, windshield cracks.. if it has a truly perfect windshield it was likely replaced so look into who installed and whether they did a good job. Safelite is notorious for doing s***ty work and using incorrect trim pieces.

90k miles is a lot of seat farts.
For a 2019, at an average of one fart a day, you’re looking at conservative total of ~1,100 farts 😬

In all seriousness, to the OP - as others have said, highway miles are a great thing. Much less wear and tear.

I put 330k on my last 200, a 2009 and it was in perfect shape when I sold it in 2020. The seat wasn’t even ripped. I would say consistent maintenance and quality parts are part of the equation. I always try to use Toyota OEM parts but if in a pinch use a super high quality auto parts store part as well. Service Service Service and they will last. (Replaced with a new 2021 200)

What everyone else said. If the maintenance was kept up I’d consider it an advantage.

Watch out for highway issues though. Dings in paint on front edges of body panels, windshield cracks.. if it has a truly perfect windshield it was likely replaced so look into who installed and whether they did a good job. Safelite is notorious for doing s***ty work and using incorrect trim pieces.
why would you expect the windshield to have been replaced? Ive got 100k of highway and gravel road on my truck and i don’t even have a deep rock chip. The 200 windshields are tough.

why would you expect the windshield to have been replaced? Ive got 100k of highway and gravel road on my truck and i don’t even have a deep rock chip. The 200 windshields are tough.
I think it depends on where you live. When I was in the exurbs of VA I seems to replace a windshield every couple years. Dump trucks throwing stones were the worst. Here in Chicago I’ve not had any issues. My truck came from Houston though and when it arrived up here it had multiple windshield cracks.

That’s why I said truly perfect. Even without obvious marks or cracks, most vehicles with that kind of freeway mileage will have some very small blemishes that can be seen if inspected with an appropriate light. Given the troubles posted here by poor windshield installs it would be worth my time to determine whether the windshield was factory or not. Not saying it would necessarily turn me off to buying, it’s just more data to help make a decision.

I think it depends on where you live. When I was in the exurbs of VA I seems to replace a windshield every couple years. Dump trucks throwing stones were the worst. Here in Chicago I’ve not had any issues. My truck came from Houston though and when it arrived up here it had multiple windshield cracks.
Yeah I’m used to the PNW plus a lot of driving in Canada, Mexico, etc. but never a broken or cracked windshield in my 200.

Off topic a little but my 100 series went through windshields, I am on #3 or 4 now after 300,000 miles. Mainly due to a lot of winter driving chasing snow, but I wonder if the angle of the windshield has something to do with it as well. Will be curious to see how my 200 holds up.

Thanks to all for the comments. You kept me entertained at the dealer while they tried to pull stealership tricks. Long story short I walked from the LC. It was in really good shape but the dealer was shady. Just one example is they rasied the price 1k from when I drove it last friday and what it was listed for on the web. So my search continues.

I would rather prefer a 90k in 3 years rather than 90k in 9 years. (As long as minimum oil changes are done).
90k is a good mark where even if the previous owner didn't do any basic maintenance, you can catch up and put the truck back on healthy maintenance. (Transmission, belts, suspension fluids etc). plus you get most of the parts which are just 3 years old and the rubber seals and others have more life in them.
There are two ages to parts, one is the miles (for drivetran) the other is the years since manufactured.

check this thread on what to check before you purchase: 200 Series Questions Before Purchase - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200-series-questions-before-purchase.1271032/#post-14204192

This may be as good a thread as any to share this video due to the above dialogue regarding high mileage and highway vs. city miles. This guy has an informative YouTube channel that I’ve followed for a few years. He has some good Toyota and Lexus-specific content as well, IIRC.

YourCarAngel
How to properly inspect a car for highway miles:

—-

@tmakos , bummer that the deal didn’t work out, but it sounds like you made the right decision. Best of luck with the search.

Kenny’s lyrics come to mind with this type of situation,

“Know when to walk away
And know when to run”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom