High Mileage lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and gals, I'm normally over in the 80 forum but looking at purchasing a 100 series. Found a 01 lx470 that's actually really nice and completely stock. Second owner but has a huge stack of paperwork from where the first owner had it serviced at the dealership every time it needed anything. It's completely rust free and about a third of the price of what they're going for today. Only issue is high mileage, and by high I mean cheech and chong high. Like over 400,000 high. Just wandering if anyone here has one with this many miles and what to look for. I've watched otramm's videos on them but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with an extremely high mileage 100 series.

Thanks

Hey guys and gals, I'm normally over in the 80 forum but looking at purchasing a 100 series. Found a 01 lx470 that's actually really nice and completely stock. Second owner but has a huge stack of paperwork from where the first owner had it serviced at the dealership every time it needed anything. It's completely rust free and about a third of the price of what they're going for today. Only issue is high mileage, and by high I mean cheech and chong high. Like over 400,000 high. Just wandering if anyone here has one with this many miles and what to look for. I've watched otramm's videos on them but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with an extremely high mileage 100 series.

Thanks

Mine did too. Came with a nice stack of things that the original owner did, took to dealerships to have serviced and whatnot. However, second owner didn't do that great of a job of the same thing and would take to shady shops (check Alita's thread for stuff I have had to fix) so I ended up spending a decent amount fixing that stuff. I didn't have a PPI done and it ended up costing me. Even the "reputable" local shop that I had do my starter replacement last year ended up reusing the intake gasket that was on the truck (which I replaced last night) so a year later I was getting a P0171 code that was killing me. So, what I am getting at is that while the stack of receipts is great and something that should be highly regarded, definitely do a PPI from a good shop (Toyota or knows Land Cruisers) and go from there.

Whole thread you can search for titled "post your high mileage cruisers".
This. Few guys over there with 350K plus and still going strong. Thing is that with that high a mileage I would definitely invest in an in-depth PPI.

I picked up a 2000 LX with 330k miles for $3.5k as the third owner back in 2019. The second owner purchased in '02 with 105k miles. He had $18k worth of receipts for parts and labor. But I still had to swap/replace the CV's, front diff, alternator, and steering rack. .... 20k miles later and probably $4k in parts and labor across 2years- I have zero regrets (Thanks to the amazing help found here on MUD)

I have seen guys pay $10K for 250k miles with "great service records" and still require the same repairs as me. I am not saying service records don't matter, but I am saying 100's seem expensive to own regardless of your purchase price. Personally, I would rather purchase low and choose the shop and parts or DIY.

Thanks

You might check the condition of the AHC system and also ask if the brake booster system/ABS has ever been replaced. Those can be expensive items to fix/replace. Otherwise....a well maintained 100 series *LC or LX* can go a long, long....time.

We picked up a very tidy 470 with 330k+ after several others passed due to the mileage. The '98-'02 100s will go down as some of the most venerable vehicles of the modern age for several reasons. Don't fret it. Enjoy the truck.

But, in full disclosure, get used to cross referencing parts with Tundra. No vehicle with that mileage will let you off scot-free.

depends on price... are you willing/planning to have the motor rebuilt/swapped?

You might check the condition of the AHC system and also ask if the brake booster system/ABS has ever been replaced. Those can be expensive items to fix/replace. Otherwise....a well maintained 100 series *LC or LX* can go a long, long....time.
THIS. Definitely find out if this part has been replaced.....and if it has not, have the part/ braking system/ ABS stuff inspected very thoroughly. Otherwise if you need one, it'a a $2500 to $3000 repair with a very expensive part. Ask me how I know ;)

I picked up a 2000 LX with 330k miles for $3.5k as the third owner back in 2019. The second owner purchased in '02 with 105k miles. He had $18k worth of receipts for parts and labor. But I still had to swap/replace the CV's, front diff, alternator, and steering rack. .... 20k miles later and probably $4k in parts and labor across 2years- I have zero regrets (Thanks to the amazing help found here on MUD)

I have seen guys pay $10K for 250k miles with "great service records" and still require the same repairs as me. I am not saying service records don't matter, but I am saying 100's seem expensive to own regardless of your purchase price. Personally, I would rather purchase low and choose the shop and parts or DIY.
^^^^^^ This right here! Mine was dealer maintained almost to the point where it seems like the PO did whatever they told him to do.
I still had to replace the radiator, thermostat, many vacuum hoses, cv axles and all four control arms, AC line etc…
Thankfully PO had already done the steering rack and brake booster.
Still need to do AHC globes.
This is at 245k

With this high milage of any car, even with service receipts I would expect to pay at least some money on axles/hubs, bushings and rubber/plastic made items. Maybe also suspension if it's original. So at least 4k.

But if you do take care of this stuff then keep the car rust free and say 10+ years and it will become collector item and you can sell it for at least $15k. So it depends on what you want to do with it.

One big caviet, hopefully you engine and transmission do not go in that time.

I just paid $15k for a one owner 03 rust free LC with 60 pgs of carfax history at the same toyota dealership. Had a PPI done because it was 400 miles away. No AHC issues to deal with, but everything that should have been replaced has been, and aside from needing a new steering wheel and motor for the tilt, plus new floor mats and a tint redo on two windows, it's good to go. I owned an 01 for 16 years and sold it with 200k miles. Never gave me one bit of trouble. Hoping this one will perform equally as well. Service history is extremely important to me, as is rust free. Mileage doesn't matter if it's been taken care of.

I did actually end up buying this rig. It will need some love but the mechanicals I can handle. The good thing is that it is completely 100% rust free. I called the dealership where it had been serviced and the service writer emailed me nearly $64,000 in receipts that had been spent on this thing over the course of about 15 years. Of course when you're paying nearly $300 for an oil change every 5,000 miles it tends to add up. It's definitely going to need a timing belt job and possibly a steering rack. It may even end up needing a trans or torque converter. There is a stutter when it shifts into overdrive at around 40 mph. Like I said though, the body is extremely straight with no rust and the pearl white paint has held up really well, and it's a one owner with 64k in receipts. I got a good enough deal on it though where I could do the steering rack, timing belt kit, good used trans and torque converter, whatever other misc. items and still probably less than 7k in the whole thing. Odometer is at 436,000 and climbing. I'll try to get some pics uploaded tomorrow.

I just paid $15k for a one owner 03 rust free LC with 60 pgs of carfax history at the same toyota dealership. Had a PPI done because it was 400 miles away. No AHC issues to deal with, but everything that should have been replaced has been, and aside from needing a new steering wheel and motor for the tilt, plus new floor mats and a tint redo on two windows, it's good to go. I owned an 01 for 16 years and sold it with 200k miles. Never gave me one bit of trouble. Hoping this one will perform equally as well. Service history is extremely important to me, as is rust free. Mileage doesn't matter if it's been taken care of.
60 pages, goodness. That seems excessive. How many miles, 500k?

… and the pearl white paint has held up really well…
The pearl paint is amazing! Mine has held up extremely well too!!!

I did actually end up buying this rig. It will need some love but the mechanicals I can handle. The good thing is that it is completely 100% rust free. I called the dealership where it had been serviced and the service writer emailed me nearly $64,000 in receipts that had been spent on this thing over the course of about 15 years. Of course when you're paying nearly $300 for an oil change every 5,000 miles it tends to add up. It's definitely going to need a timing belt job and possibly a steering rack. It may even end up needing a trans or torque converter. There is a stutter when it shifts into overdrive at around 40 mph. Like I said though, the body is extremely straight with no rust and the pearl white paint has held up really well, and it's a one owner with 64k in receipts. I got a good enough deal on it though where I could do the steering rack, timing belt kit, good used trans and torque converter, whatever other misc. items and still probably less than 7k in the whole thing. Odometer is at 436,000 and climbing. I'll try to get some pics uploaded tomorrow.
Wahoo! Excited for you! Looking forward to the pictures.

Awesome. Cant wait to see pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom