High mileage 3x locked 94 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As if my 97 wasn't enough of a financial burden, I found this 94 down the road in North Carolina. A vague facebook listing and a phone call later the seller agreed to hold onto it for me until I could get down there. Over the phone, the seller informed me the truck had been sitting for several years but had no rust and according to his mechanic needed nothing (yeah right). Upon learning that it had the magic dial left of the steering wheel my interest was peaked so I rode down the next morning to take a look.

As expected, the truck had more issues than described. The paint, which presented well at 10 feet was an obvious respray upon closer inspection that I anticipated for the miles. Most tires were flat, and the truck ran poorly sputtering at idle and during acceleration. Oil was leaking out of nearly every gasket in the engine bay, and the interior was filled with mouse s***. 4Lo did not engage the CDL and as a result, the lockers didn't engage. I almost walked away entirely but gave a final offer of what I thought was fair for the truck bringing the issues into consideration. After some negotiation, the seller agreed and I was the new owner of the 317k-mile cruiser.

After putting some air in the tires and throwing my toolbox in the trunk I began the white knuckle ride back to Virginia. The entire two hours back I was staring at the temp and oil pressure gauge but fortunately made it back without any catastrophic issues.

The miles are obviously on the higher side but it is a rust-free triple-locked rig in pretty original condition, which I think is worth saving.

IMG_0772.jpeg

Currently, as it sits it needs a lot of TLC.

Issues that I have found so far:

- Stumbling idle and rough acceleration. Feels like a misfire, CEL came on once very briefly but went away almost immediately. The day I picked it up it was cold and rainy, I started the truck yesterday when it was dry and it appeared to run fine after a short drive.

- 4lo does not engage the CDL. Need to dig deeper but suspect the solenoid/connector is gummed up after little use in 28 years.

- Oil leaks in all of the typical 1FZ places

- Heater control valve looks like it is about to explode, I'm sure the PHH is in a similar condition

- Various non-OEM hoses and parts in the engine bay

- Green coolant

- Mouse poop and generally nasty interior, signs of rodents in the engine bay but as of now have not found any chewed wires or nests.

These are just the obvious ones. I bought the truck with zero service history, so I have no idea of any engine work done. I feel like at 317k miles it is more likely that the head gasket has been already addressed than one with say 200k, combined with the replacement coolant hoses everywhere I'm hoping it was already done.

Have a general baseline of parts coming in from Partsouq, Witsend, and McGeorge Toyota that should arrive next week as a starting point.

Sounds like a familiar story, congrats on your second ! Just curious, where was in in NC ? I spent the first 40 years of my life there...

Jason

Sounds like a familiar story, congrats on your second ! Just curious, where was in in NC ? I spent the first 40 years of my life there...

Jason
Reidsville. The car was sold new at a Toyota dealer in Statesville, haven't checked the VIN but pretty sure it's been in NC since 94.

The only thing better than having one 80 series....

Good luck with the restore. I kind of miss the days when my 80 was in the new to me but neglected condition. You could do a lot of little things that made a big difference.

Progress has been delayed as my daily driver 97 has been getting most of the attention, catching up on some deferred maintenance. Began tinkering with the 94 the past week or two and used it as a DD while my 97 was down. It actually runs and drives surprisingly well for its neglected condition, besides leaking nearly every fluid possible. I needed something to bring me to our hunting lease, so the first thing I addressed was a lack of CDL lock when shifting to 4Lo. Pulled the 3 switches on the transfer case, and tested for resistance and they all failed. Cleaned up the contacts with electronics cleaner and cycled the ball back and forth, was able to get 2 out of 3 working.
IMG_0861.jpeg

This still did not fix the CDL problem, forgot about it until I tested it again on a muddy road at the lease. To my surprise, the CDL light came on and was able to get the rear locker to engage as well. Sweet, back in business. Unfortunately it would not unlock, tried doing figure 8s, shifting in and out of reverse dozens of times, nothing. Had to drive the 90 miles home with the CDL locked, it killed the battery overnight after I parked it which tells me it was still sending 12V to the actuator. Pretty sure it is completely fried at this point but we will find out when I pull it from the T-case.

IMG_0870.JPEG

Began the teardown. Addressing the front main, oil pump seal, PS pump and whatever else I find along the way.

IMG_0873.JPEG

Leaky chinese POS radiator out. Will be replaced with a Toyota brass unit appropriate for the 93-94s.

Did you send an oil sample off to Blackstone to gauge engine wear issues or is the plan just to run it as-is?

Did you send an oil sample off to Blackstone to gauge engine wear issues or is the plan just to run it as-is?
May do that in the future. The current plan is to monitor oil consumption after I fix all the leaks and get it back on the road and run it as is. Haven't been able to work on it much recently but the goal is late spring I'll have it roadworthy.

Been a while since I've posted. Have been able to do some work here and there. Resealed valve cover up, replaced almost all heater hoses, hcv, vacuum lines, distributor, etc.
IMG_0883.JPEG
IMG_0988.JPEG
IMG_0990.JPEG

IMG_1252.JPEG

New P/S lines, low and high pressure along with the rebuilt pump.

IMG_1254.JPEG

New Aisin water pump

IMG_1257.JPEG

New Toyota brass radiator

IMG_1260.JPEG

Buttoned up and started immediately first crank to my surprise (usually forget something stupid) and idled fine. Flushed P/S as well as cooling system with distilled water. Unfortunately didn't seem to have power steering... will redo flush and then pull everything back apart if that doesn't work. Will resume work in the next week or two, next up is to fix CDL actuator to get it back on the road...

Recent work has been resolving the no power-steering after the rebuild. Took apart the pump again and discovered catastrophic damage, didn't notice it the first time so must have done something wrong during the initial rebuild?
IMG_1322.JPEG

Hard to see but metal is seared off on opposite ends

IMG_1324.JPEG

Appears that whatever was broken off of the first component was forced down into the metal chamber, ruining the surface. This was a part of the housing itself, due to the extensive damage I decided to search for a new pump.

IMG_1341.JPEG

Sourced a used toyota replacement off Ebay for cheap. I carefully disassembled, thoroughly cleaned everything, and transferred the new seals onto this pump triple checking my work at every step. Had to buy the main inner seal again as the other was ruined during removal, but even after a rebuild kit, used pump, and second seal it was still cheaper than a new Toyota unit. Threw it back on the car and fortunately the P/S functioned flawlessly.

Trying to diagnose the stuck-on locked CDL, pulled the actuator and it functioned correctly with 12v to the connector. Fuse is good, tested and fixed two out of 3 switches on the transfer case. The only one I couldn't get to pass a continuity test was the one on the very top of the T-case, a neutral position sensor if I remember correctly (the only one with a different style connector) .... would this switch prevent the CDL from functioning correctly? I will try to find a pic for reference in a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom